Author Topic: "Maryland to the Frontier" Long Rifle Exibit  (Read 4420 times)

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
"Maryland to the Frontier" Long Rifle Exibit
« on: July 23, 2013, 11:17:37 PM »
  I took a trip to Maryland this weekend to the Maryland to the Frontier Long rifle exhibit in Ellicott City MD.http://www.borail.org/ECS-Maryland-to-the-Frontier.aspx.I promised a review when I got home.First let me thank the exhibition committee and the gun owners who allowed their treasures to be exhibited for us to see.Make sure to make the time to visit the exhibition before it ends.There is a wonderful cross section of Maryland makers displayed.I have to say the rifle that blew me away more than the others wasn't an Armstrong as I suspected it would be but a percussion gun by John Stonesifer.This may arguable be the finest existing American Rifle from the percussion era.Stonsifer who is a maker who is not often talked about but his engraving and incised carving on this gun is some of the finest I've ever seen on an American Longrifle.Even the wonderful pictures on the available CD can't replace seeing this rifle in person.This is just 1 of 20+ great rifles in this display.
  The only minor complaint I have is the lighting on some of the lower rifles made the carving a little hard to read but again it was very minor complaint. The display is well worth the trip and shouldn't be missed by anyone in the area.Thanks Again to those responsible!!!!!

Mitch Yates

Offline VP

Re: "Maryland to the Frontier" Long Rifle Exibit
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 02:53:24 AM »
Mitch,

I will have to agree with you on your comments on the Stonesifer rifle in the "Maryland to the Frontier" display. I absolutely love the John Armstrong, but a high quality gun is what you would expect. The Stonesifer rifle caught me by surprise, being as you said some of the nicest engraving and carving on a longrifle. The CD is worth getting just to have detail pictures of these two rifles.

Van

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 03:18:08 AM »
I've not read of Stonesifer. Where can I read about his story and work?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 03:56:15 AM »
Mitch, thank you for your review of the exhibit, I'm glad you enjoyed it.  I also want to thank you for your honest comments about the lighting of the cases.  We are aware of that issue and will be taking steps to improve the case lighting for future displays.

Setting up and coordinating exhibits like these are a lot of work, but speaking on behalf of the Kentucky Rifle Foundation and the committee members involved in this project, we thoroughly enjoy doing them.  Our mission is education, and because of that mission, I believe that we have an obligation to make rifles like these available to be seen first hand. Books are great, but the rifles themselves are much better appreciated by actually seeing them in person. Treasures like these should never be hidden away in collections or only seen in books.

Frank  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:26:12 AM by Fullstock longrifle »

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 03:38:57 PM »
Shreck
There is Stonesifer info and pictures in both the red and the gray Maryland books by Jim Whisker.I would also recommend the mentioned CD of pictures by the KRF.

Mitch

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 04:18:25 PM »
Couple of guys in our group have made it up and both commented on the Stonesifer rifle.  Both also commented on how horrible it was to find a place to park, so be ready for that if you go.

I still hope to make it up to view the exhibit, but too much work and OT right now to do much of anything...
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 04:27:14 PM »
Parking in Ellicott City is an issue.Here is a like to a printable map of parking lotshttp://www.howardcountymd.gov/ECparking.htm .There is a large free parking area(Lot D) within easy walking distance of the museum. There were plenty of spaces even on a busy Sunday.

Mitch
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:27:51 PM by aka tallbear »

Offline VP

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 01:15:37 AM »
For those that have a smart phone you can download for free an App that is called Parker. When you get in Ellicott City, an others, just call up the App and it will direct you to the closest parking meter that is open. For an old town they have a high tech parking system. As mentioned before there are three close free parking lots, just not right in front of the museum.

Van