General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Hodgdon buys out Goex

(1/6) > >>

Candle Snuffer:
Well it's no longer a rumor, it's confirmed;

http://www.cascity.com/?p=260

Maybe Hodgdon will get real black powder into the stores now and do away with the Pyro-@#$%/!! they call Pyrodex???

I don't know what will happen but I guess those of us who like using Goex will find out soon enough...

roundball:
Got this email back from Hodgdon a few days ago:

============================================================
"As of January 2, 2009 Hodgdon Powder Company purchased GOEX. We intend to make no changes in the location of manufacture nor in the personnel who manufacture GOEX. As the largest share of the GOEX production goes to the military and commercial applications, we have great expectations that sales will continue strong and the sporting market will benefit from the volume being produced.
Rest assured, we want GOEX to go on for another hundred years."

New Customer Service Hours: 7:00 AM to 5:30 PM Central Time, Monday through Thursday. For help during any other time, please visit the Reloading Data Center at www.hodgdon.com

For a complete listing of all rifle, pistol and shotshell reloading recipes for Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester Smokeless Propellants, go to www.hodgdon.com and use the Reloading Data Center

Mike Daly
Customer Satisfaction Manager
The Hodgdon Powder Company Family of Propellants:
Hodgdon Smokeless powders
Pyrodex Muzzleloading Propellants
Triple Seven Muzzleloading Propellants
IMR Smokeless Powders
Winchester Smokeless Powders
=============================================================

I'm hoping Hodgdon will be able to succeed with the work Goex started and get BP reclassified as a propellent...if they can, it should become readily available everywhere and help get more folks into traditional styled muzzleloading

BPB:

--- Quote from: Candle Snuffer on January 12, 2009, 06:25:37 AM ---Well it's no longer a rumor, it's confirmed;

http://www.cascity.com/?p=260

Maybe Hodgdon will get real black powder into the stores now and do away with the Pyro-@#$%/!! they call Pyrodex???

I don't know what will happen but I guess those of us who like using Goex will find out soon enough...

--- End quote ---

Don't expect to see Goex appear in stores unless the store owner is willing to apply for a federal explosives license to sell Goex=Black Powder.
 Then you have to have you local zoning approval to store BP, in an approved storage box or cabinet.
For the local gun shop just to get started and set up you're looking at I think $300.00 just for the ATF license.
 That is why you do not see Goex on shop or box store shelves.

I've seen the town of Henrietta, NY.'s fire marshals not approve storage of smokeless powder in Gander Mountain.

Licensing and sales in your local shop is up to the individual dealer,federal,state and local laws not the manufactur or distributor.

Regards,
 BPB

roundball:
And my point was that Goex had begun a formal campaign last year to try and get BP reclassified as a propellent instead of an explosive...(because it is NOT an explosive) and I hope Hodgdon continues that push and is successful.
If they are, then all the fed regs will disappear and BP will be no different than a store owner stocking a can of Hodgdon smokeless powder

Candle Snuffer:

--- Quote from: roundball on January 12, 2009, 04:20:57 PM ---And my point was that Goex had begun a formal campaign last year to try and get BP reclassified as a propellent instead of an explosive...(because it is NOT an explosive) and I hope Hodgdon continues that push and is successful.
If they are, then all the fed regs will disappear and BP will be no different than a store owner stocking a can of Hodgdon smokeless powder

--- End quote ---

That's what I'm hoping will happen as well Roundball.  IMHO, I think Hodgdon stands a better chance of getting this done then Goex had while on their own.  It will be interesting to see if Hodgdon follows up on this, and they might?  Who knows, maybe Goex had some success in this area that we don't know about, but perhaps enough to make Hodgdon take note and purchase Goex with this in mind?

All speculation of course... :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version