Author Topic: Latest Builds  (Read 12981 times)

g rummell

Latest Builds
« on: July 28, 2013, 08:10:09 PM »
Antiqued Jacob Dubbs complete with dents scratches and imperfections. 44" 58 caliber smoothbore Colerain barrel, Chambers Large Siler, wood courtesy of Mark Wheland. This rifle was completed using nothing but rasps, carving tools, scrapers and burnishers. I started off with a coat of LM Honey Maple stain, then a coat of Ferric Nitrate followed by heat, 6 coats of hand rubbed Teak Oil followed with a little flat black paint that was handed rubbed with burlap leaving it only in the areas that I wanted it.

Bedford County Cap Lock 42" 45 caliber Green Mountain Barrel, Davis lock, wood courtesy of Mark Wheland.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 04:04:59 PM by G.Rummell »

BIGMAN

Re: Latest Builds
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 11:19:48 PM »
Very nice. Very interesting box on the second one.

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 11:32:51 PM »
Just my taste, but the finish on the first rifle appears exceptional. I love the color, shading and sheen. The carving looks quite nice as well. That is what jumped out at me and I am responding hastily. Thanks for posting.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 11:50:55 PM »
Rummell, from where i'm standing, those look to be very nice. Is there a small bead around the wood box on the first one?

g rummell

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 11:59:16 PM »
Rummell, from where i'm standing, those look to be very nice. Is there a small bead around the wood box on the first one?

No there is not, it's just the way the morning sun was hitting it when I took the pictures. Just a reflection that's all.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:14:05 AM by G.Rummell »

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 12:19:45 AM »
Very nicely done.  I especially like the first one.  Great color and architecture.
Mark Thomas

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 12:55:33 AM »
I like the first rifle, but I have a photography suggestion for you.   The color is way off on the first pic because of the lighting and white balance.   Check your camera manual for the custom white balance setting.   Most digital cameras have one.    Using this for each lighting situation will give you much more accurate color.   Also taking the photo on a overcast day or somewhere you have completely diffused light will help the camera set the exposure and white balance properly.   The spots of bright sunlight is what threw everything off on the wide angle photo.  As you zoom in,  you have less variations in the field of view.    Closeups are almost always better than wide angle shots.   Accordingly,  you need to set a custom white balance for both the wide shots and another one for the close shots.

g rummell

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 01:49:50 AM »
I like the first rifle, but I have a photography suggestion for you.   The color is way off on the first pic because of the lighting and white balance.   Check your camera manual for the custom white balance setting.   Most digital cameras have one.    Using this for each lighting situation will give you much more accurate color.   Also taking the photo on a overcast day or somewhere you have completely diffused light will help the camera set the exposure and white balance properly.   The spots of bright sunlight is what threw everything off on the wide angle photo.  As you zoom in,  you have less variations in the field of view.    Closeups are almost always better than wide angle shots.   Accordingly,  you need to set a custom white balance for both the wide shots and another one for the close shots.
Thanks for the photography suggestions Mark. However, I do not own a digital camera these were all done with my IPhone and I don't believe I can adjust it in any way. Guess it's time to invest in a camera.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 01:58:36 AM »
Nice work, I like both of them. (Could use more dents and scratches though   :P )
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

g rummell

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 02:02:20 AM »
Nice work, I like both of them. (Could use more dents and scratches though   :P )

A man after my own taste. Mike there is more than enough dents and scratches. Copy and save the pics and blow them up, you'll see what I mean.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 03:34:33 AM »
The photos were so good,  I never would have guessed they were from an iPhone.    You are right,  there is no white balance correction on an iPhone, but most of the point and shoots have that as well as full manual operation.  As the iPhone proved, you can get very good photos from inexpensive cameras if you know how to use them.   Of course a good point and shoot camera is half the price of an iPhone, at least the full price of the iPhone.   

Offline duca

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 04:23:03 AM »
Hey Gary, AWESOME!  ;D Glad to see your still at it. Really Nice Rifles. Great workmen ship.
                                                                                                                             Anthony...
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Uncle Alvah

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 04:32:49 AM »
Sweet!

g rummell

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 04:55:58 AM »
Hey Gary, AWESOME!  ;D Glad to see your still at it. Really Nice Rifles. Great workmen ship.
                                                                                                                             Anthony...

Never quit my brother, it's always been a passion and still is.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 05:01:57 AM »
Gary;

That first rifle is just plain gorgeous. I love the carving, the finish, and the wood. No need to put yourself out, I'll put the dents, and dings, into her for you. TTYL.

Hungry Horse

g rummell

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 03:46:44 PM »
Gary;

That first rifle is just plain gorgeous. I love the carving, the finish, and the wood. No need to put yourself out, I'll put the dents, and dings, into her for you. TTYL.

Hungry Horse

Thank you sir, I appreciate the comments. And if you would like one to dent and scratch for yourself, I'm sure that can be arranged.  ;)

pushboater

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 04:49:34 PM »
Gary, that is simply outstanding work! I too particularly like the Dubbs rifle. Great architecture, and the finish is particularly pleasing. I simply love the well worn but well taken care of look. That's the look I'm going to try and shoot for on my current project. I only hope mine turns out half as nice. Thanks for the photos.

Capt. David

Offline duca

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 06:58:15 PM »
Gary;

Hungry Horse

LOL.......
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Online wattlebuster

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 04:06:28 AM »
Great work on both but my heart is with the first one :)
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

g rummell

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 02:59:38 PM »
Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 08:55:50 PM »
Thanks for the photography suggestions Mark. However, I do not own a digital camera these were all done with my IPhone and I don't believe I can adjust it in any way. Guess it's time to invest in a camera.

first-good looking guns, thanks for sharing some details.

second, I don't know about i-phones, but there are "aftermarket" apps for the droid OS phones such that you can have LOTS more photo-taking options and settings.  I was delighted to discover this fact and now can use voice/sound activation, customize button functions, adjust way too many parameters...and i've only tried the "Zoom" app*.  My biggest complaint is that it is useless for cropping-it does generic shapes only, not true cropping.  But then i do all the real detail work in Irfanview once i get images to my PC.

The phones are great in getting stuff posted without going through the PC, especially when we can find better apps to engage their photographic capabilities.

*beware that (if you try the "Zoom" app (i forget the whole proper name)) it's set up to tag all your photos/shares/etc with self-promoting (kinda obnoxious) tag lines.  Digging around in the settings lets you delete or re-write such.  I'm not promoting that particular app, just sharing what i've learnt.  cheers.
Hold to the Wind

nchunter

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 05:38:57 PM »
Did you really do the Honey Maple stain first, followed by the Ferric Nitrate/Heat? 

The reason I ask is I would have thought the heat and chemicals might react/change the Honey Maple dye.  Seems like one would have to reverse that order to avoid degrading the color of the dye.

g rummell

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 07:07:30 PM »
Did you really do the Honey Maple stain first, followed by the Ferric Nitrate/Heat? 

That's exactly what I did. First a good heavy coat of LM Honey Maple dye, allow to dry a day or two, then followed up with the ferric nitrate and heat treat. This is the fourth rifle that I've done in this fashion (I've always used aquafortis in the past) and I'm very pleased with the results. After the heat treat I relieve some of the ferric nitrate in the high wear areas with some 0000 steel wool and the LM stain's honey color shines through. :)

mustangpalmer1911

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 08:17:42 AM »
VERY nice. I really like the first one. I love the well used and cared for look.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 08:33:30 AM by mustangpalmer1911 »

g rummell

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 03:13:59 PM »
VERY nice. I really like the first one. I love the well used and cared for look.

Thank you sir, I appreciate the comments. The first one is my favorite also.