Author Topic: Shot out Barrels?  (Read 4000 times)

BSF

Shot out Barrels?
« on: August 04, 2013, 06:45:28 PM »
This might be better in the shooting section but I figured that builders would be the ones replacing the barrel so here we go. Has anyone here got an idea how many shots it takes to wear out a modern muzzleloader barrel?  BTW I was know as Paddlefoot before but couldn't get the email/password issue sorted out without re-registering.

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Shot out Barrels?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 07:18:02 PM »
 I think calling it shot out might be misleading. Most barrel ware is due to abrasion from the ramrod. That is not to say a barrel can't be shot out, but in this day and age when the majority of the shooters, shoot much less, than in the old days, its highly unlikely. A good test to see if it is barrel ware, or is truly shot out, is to cut a couple of inches off the muzzle, and recrown it, and see if the accuracy returns. The barrel material used today is much more ware resistant than the wrought iron of old, making barrel life much longer.
 Another facet of this puzzle, is what is your standards of accuracy? Are we talking about match grade accuracy? Hunting grade accuracy? Plinking grade accuracy? It all come down to degree of acceptability. What is acceptable accuracy for one, is not for another.

Hungry Horse

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 07:38:54 PM »
By none other than our friend Roger Fisher: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=23874.0

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 10:17:57 PM »
Wooden or fiberglass rods wear a barrel. Flexible rods bear on the sides of the bore, and carry abrasives embedded in their soft surfaces.

If you shoot competition, or shoot a lot, use a steel rod with a muzzle protector. The rod NEVER touches the bore.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

necchi

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 11:34:35 PM »
I think calling it shot out might be misleading. Most barrel ware is due to abrasion from the ramrod.
I'm with that! And don't forget neglect. A poorly cared for barrel may last only a few hundred rounds or less, where as one that's always properly cleaned and stored will last thousands of rounds.
An average guy's barrel with proper care will last well past 10-15years or more.

I've cut back a lot on my shooting time and only get 5-600 rounds out a year now, my oldest rifle was pre-owned and has been in my position for 12 years now, and the barrel is still in fine condition.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 05:39:27 AM by necchi »

Offline JDK

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 01:42:05 AM »
An average guy's barrel with proper care will last well past 10-15years or more.

No offence necchi, but I contend the average guy's barrel will last a life time or more.  The average gun owner doesn't shoot his gun all that much.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 02:10:35 AM »
BTW I was know as Paddlefoot before but couldn't get the email/password issue sorted out without re-registering.
Paddlefoot (and others with the same problem, email or PM me when you have problems like this. I can reset passwords in 5 min or less. Email's can be updated.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

BSF

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 05:07:03 AM »
I guess I could have searched a bit but the opinions on this stuff seem to change. I just got done reading on a modern shooting site that the high power, benchrest, and long range shooters are all at odds over how often, what solvents and products to use as well as whether to use a brush and what type. Of course none of them agree on what the accurate life of a barrel is and why it is different in the shooting disciplines. Personally Im still shooting a Sharon Hawken I built back in the 70s. No problems yet but its not getting lots of exercise either.

Offline JDK

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 05:15:01 AM »
Not a fare comparison....muzzleloading rifle barrels to modern centerfire rifles shooting high velocity, bottle necked cartridges.  That's a different conversation entirely.

Most of the variables that affect CF rifle barrels do not apply to muzzleloaders....and vice versa.  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

necchi

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 05:38:14 AM »
Your right J.D., I was going to say that, but I thought another member would come by and correct me that he's indeed shot out a few barrels and is still alive.

Just can't win. (unless I'm shooting  ;) )
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 05:38:44 AM by necchi »

Offline JDK

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 05:52:47 AM »
Well then, that fella would be above average then. :D  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 06:13:05 PM »
No. Nearly completely different animals.

Yes, modern smokeless cartridge guns can be shot enough for the throats to wear enough to skew accuracy with pill-shaped projectiles.  but that is not what we talk about here.

The pressures involved with BP propellants* and the softness of the projectiles, combined with a proper cleaning and loading procedures will allow a bbl to last a very long time.

(*some "artificial" propellants though (no matter how popular) will greatly accelerate the corrosion of a bbl. ) 

Welcome to the forum, you've got some reading to do.  Enjoy.

Hold to the Wind