Author Topic: Schutzen Power Thoughts/Question  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Yancey von Yeast

• Starting Member
    • Yancey von Yeast Antique Arms
Schutzen Power Thoughts/Question
« on: August 12, 2013, 03:15:08 AM »
Hello,

I have been shooting Schutzen 3f in my percussion roundball guns for a few years.  Recently I have been trying it in several flintlocks.  I know that it is a slow powder.  Am I the only one finding that it is slow enough that I notice it in the ignition time?  I am used to Swiss and Goex and have never had issues or noticed delayed ignition.

Or am I more nuts than I think I am.........?

Offline Chunker119

Re: Schutzen Power Thoughts/Question
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 06:01:22 AM »
IMO, Schuetzen is a much faster and cleaner powder than Goex. Yes, as Swiss is fast, it is too expensive for non target shooter and many target shooters alike to buy.

What are you using for priming powder? Are you new to Flintlocks?

Hopefully I can help you as I have recently started the "rock-lock" game, but I have learned a lot from many of the best flint shooters at Friendship.

MM119
Colton L. Fleetwood                
     "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway"  - John Wayne

4ster

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 05:54:03 PM »
My experience with Schutzen 3f is that it is between Goex and Swiss in performance. Goex is dirtier, maybe a little slower, Swiss packs the most punch and is the cleanest of the three.

I measure this using my "calibrated" ram rod.  When I shoot Goex my rod does not move up the barrel on recoil and it doesn't move much with Schutzen.  It jumps a bunch with Swiss.  All using the same powder measure.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 07:19:11 PM »
Swiss is a compresed powder acording to one of the distributers I talked to, so you can reduce your swiss charge by 10-15 % and still get the same velocities as you would with non compresed powder.