Author Topic: Vet's Horn  (Read 5168 times)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Vet's Horn
« on: January 13, 2009, 10:39:36 PM »
These are pictures of photographs (all I had) of a horn set I made for a friend of mine from Indiana that was  a helicopter pilot in VN, two tours. I tried to put things on it that were relevant to his service, and keep it somewhat old timey. Berks Liberty's wonderful tribute to his dad reminded me of this.

Sometimes if you can do something, you should.
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Majorjoel

Re: Vet's Horn
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 02:33:28 AM »
Very,very nice work Robby! I like the scrimmed trees....I like everything you did here! Your friend will always hold his head high for his service to our country, and the powderhorns will shine his service for generations to come!
Joel Hall

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 02:50:30 AM »
Robby,

Very nicely done  Wonderful blending of the current with the past, and you definitely kept the "old timey" feel.  Very nicely done, indeed!  Hat's off to your friend for his service and to you for thanking him for us.

Is the ring between the light and dark sections an applied ring or is it carved into the horn?  And is that really relief carving around the bases???  It sure looks like it.

-Ron
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 02:51:51 AM by KyFlinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 04:42:52 AM »
WOW!!! Beautiful!
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 05:06:11 PM »
Thanks fellows, KyFlinter, the ring is filed into the horn, all the imaging is carved in low relief and skrimmed to accent the detail. Like I said these are pictures of photographs, so there is a lot of detail that is lost. Captjoel, That is actually a bamboo thicket, if the picture was clearer you could see the knuckles on the stems, that part of the scene is taken from the VNSM.
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Berks Liberty

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 05:09:16 PM »
Robby,

That is an awesome horn.  I like the overall look to it.  Great Work! 

Berk

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 06:52:59 PM »
Great job Robby.  Very nice carving detail.  Something you don't see very often.
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 01:52:08 AM »
 How did I miss this set? I don't care that the story told on the horn is contemporary the workmanship is outstanding.

Tim C.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 11:54:21 PM »
I love the carving!  Very cool!  What a great looking set of horns!  You obviously had a lot of time into those.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Tony Clark

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 12:49:02 AM »
That is very nice work. Regards, TC