Author Topic: Tools for doing wire inlay  (Read 6963 times)

Offline moleeyes36

Tools for doing wire inlay
« on: August 13, 2013, 04:20:16 PM »
I'm at the point on my current project where I'll be ready to start my first attempt at wire inlay on a rifle stock soon.  I didn't see anything on it in our Tutorial section, but I've burned up the internet researching the topic of what tools are used and I think I opened Pandora's box.  I've found articles, videos, and pictures about people doing it.  While the approach is generally the same, or at least similar, the tools used for it vary a lot.  I've seen people doing it with chisels and gouges, Exacto knives, and an wide variety of homemade tools made from saw blades, knives and other things.  What kind of tools do some of you guys use that do wire inlay?  If they're homemade some pictures of them and a description of how you made them would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline sz

Re: Tools for doing wire inlay
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 04:33:22 PM »
At NAPA auto parts about 18 years ago I bought some Swiss Made small screwdrivers in a set
 There were 4 standards and 4 Philips.  The Philips went into my tool box and the standards were all honed into chisels.  That's what I use and they work perfectly.

Offline JDK

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 04:36:41 PM »
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 05:05:42 PM »
I think that these tools, scaled down, would be perfect for wire inlay: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=27558.msg262770#msg262770

Even tho' they are for stabbing carving, they would work for inlay.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

pushboater

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »
I made all of mine out of an old hacksaw blade. One of the very first books I ever bought when I started building 30 years ago was, "Recreating The American Longrifle" by William Buchele. That's what he showed in his book. I made a set, and that's what I use. Just make sure your hacksaw blade isn't too brittle. It needs to have a little spring and give to it. The good thing about them is that if you happen to break the tip off one below the surface of the wood you simply drive it further down and lay your wire over top of it. You'll never be able to tell where it happened, and they work great!

Capt. David

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 05:59:31 PM »
The good thing about them is that if you happen to break the tip off one below the surface of the wood you simply drive it further down and lay your wire over top of it. You'll never be able to tell where it happened, and they work great!

Excellent advice. It's far better than digging it out!

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 08:21:41 PM »
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=5639.0

Some wire inlay tools from a few years ago.

John
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

Offline gusd

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 09:11:20 PM »
I also make mine out of flexible hacksaw blades.
As Pushboater said when one breaks you drive it in further and continue on!
Made a set 30+ years ago they still work. I  made mine .025, .040, .060 & .100 Approx.
Gus

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 10:12:21 PM »
Guys, thanks for all the information.  I think I'll make some of the different types and give them a try to see what works best for me.  I have a piece of maple I can practice on before I tackle my stock.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 10:30:29 PM »
I do all of mine with a single skew chisel. Works for me.

Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 01:34:35 AM »
There is no better practice than to try it out on a scrap of wood. Then try the wire you intend to lay in. Make sure you're opening the wood wide enuff and DEEP enough.

There are ways to give the wire some 'tooth' to keep it in the groove once the wood has swelled up on it.

1) draw a single cut mill file along the wire, to make parallel lines on the metal. File has to at the correct angle, teeth parallel with the long axis of the wire.
2) draw a 'liner' engraving tool backwards along the wire. a liner has multiple teeth, side by side.
3) there is another way that makes teeth on the bottom edge of the wire, i think by tapping across with a sharp knife.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 03:39:02 PM »
I've tried making "teeth" on the wire both ways.

Draging along a file works  for wire inlay on flat surfaces, but on curved surfaces like a pistol grip, the wire tends to come out of the wood.

Hacking teeth along the bottum edge of the wire works great on both curved and flat surfaces.

Best regards
Rolf