Author Topic: Hook or screw in the plate tang!  (Read 6579 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Hook or screw in the plate tang!
« on: January 13, 2009, 10:53:05 PM »
While the smoothbores are getting more attention here is another question.

Iron mounted smoothbore fowlers in Grinsdale's book on such I notice that many of the English iron mounted fowlers had the plate tang held down by a small screw while only a v few of the 'Kentucky' fowlers had such a screw.   I have used the soldered on hook prior and am wondering if it is proper to use a small screw instead??  The screw is a bit simpler and since I am near that point on one now I am pondering the matter (somewhat)  What do you do?

Similar question,  If that plate has the proper 'stress, bend, angle' it seems to me that the upper screw in the plate would apply enough pressure to hold the front of the tang in to the comb w/o any screw or hook at all.  Thoughts ???  Anyone do it this way and did she stay put?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Hook or screw in the plate tang!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 11:06:56 PM »
Suddenly you are concerned about such details, Roger. I confess I am worried about you.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 11:17:49 PM »
Suddenly you are concerned about such details, Roger. I confess I am worried about you.
Has to be the winter blahs around here.  I'm glad there is a shoot this coming Sunday!   Then again, maybe I should cut my red wine back to 2 glasses per night (after I leave the bench) ;D

Oh and after examining that extra fancy cheekpiece inlay you were scratching at, maybe 'details' rubbed off on me (some) ::)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 02:21:12 AM »
On the long butt plate return there are at least three methods of securing that tang that come to mind. 

First, the hook with a corresponding staple set in the comb wood to receive it beneath the tang.
Second, a lug like a trigger guard has, to receive a lateral pin, a la Brown Bess.
Third, a small screw toward the muzzle most end.  If the tang is inlet with a little tension built into it, the big butt-plate screw at the heel puts enough pressure forward to keep it in place. 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 03:19:05 AM »
On the long butt plate return there are at least three methods of securing that tang that come to mind. 

First, the hook with a corresponding staple set in the comb wood to receive it beneath the tang.
Second, a lug like a trigger guard has, to receive a lateral pin, a la Brown Bess.
Third, a small screw toward the muzzle most end.  If the tang is inlet with a little tension built into it, the big butt-plate screw at the heel puts enough pressure forward to keep it in place. 
Come now Taylor you say 3, while I counted 4.  Hic!!

I favor the hook underneath and will probably go that route since it appears most Kentucky fowlers went that route.  Serious,,, Thanks Taylor! :)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 05:15:15 AM »
I like the blind hook too Roger.  It does all the work and never wears or shows.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline albert

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 06:48:33 AM »
I am restoring an original dbl. bbl. shotgun that I think was  probably made in Austria.The gun has back-action locks and backend of the lock has a hook that holds it in place in the lock mortise. The hook is actually screwed into the lock,and the mating lockup in the stock is a headless screw that has a a notch cut out for the hook  to lock into,very nest setup I thought.
j albert miles

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 08:16:19 PM »
Albert,  Can you explain a little bit how this headless screw is arranged.  Is it horizontal like a staple and if so how does it get inserted?   Is it at an angle other than horizontal or is it coming in through the exterior of the comb as a pinned lug would?  I am just having trouble envisioning this headless screw arrangement.  Thanks. 

Offline albert

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 05:31:04 AM »
The hook is actually a stud that is bent 90 deg. and is  screwed into the lock plate,and  the end of the stud is engraved ,matching the engraving on the lockplate. On the inside of the mortise there is another stud  in,with a hole through it for the hook to lock into. I took some pictures of it tonight while I was working on a rifle project,if they look allright,I will sent you a link to the photo album.
j albert miles

Offline Benedict

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 06:44:54 AM »
I am a little confused here.  It looks like there are 2 threads going here.  One about the lock plate and one about the butt plate.  Or did I miss something?

Bruce

omark

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 04:31:07 AM »
guess i missed it too, bruce ???

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 03:18:49 AM »
I am a little confused here.  It looks like there are 2 threads going here.  One about the lock plate and one about the butt plate.  Or did I miss something?

Bruce
,It kinda morphed in to 2 subjects well actually same process but at 2 different parts of the project.  No biggee!

That butt plate (on a fowler) is 'on' now and the top screw at the knuckle of the plate pulled the tang down neatly and if I was in a hurry I'd leave her thataway!  But since she needs to come off later for browning I plan to use the hook and staple (Thanks Taylor for the staple idea, I usually fiddle cutting a notch in a wood screw and the staple would give more wiggle room) ;D