General discussion > Gun Building

casting molds

(1/4) > >>

lew wetzel:
i am curious about casting some parts that are highly decorative.is there a source to buy molds or is this something you have to take on by yourself.....

David Veith:
Something that you have to take on your own. Lost wax is the way to go for what it sound like you are taking about. I am asuming that you own the part that you want to make. On the old board there was a long thread on it. I pm you give me a shout.
David Veith

lew wetzel:
david,this is something i want to explore.i really like the chambers cast silver parts.will call you later.. 

DutchGramps:
There is that simple technique using "ossa sepia", the backshield of a cuttlefish. This link is unfortunately in DoubleDutch, but the pictures tell most of the technique:
http://www.zilvermaan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=200&sid=b2a403e08e763518f51b88873a744be3
Did it myself a couple of times, using small models of carved wood; also cast lead balls of about 3/4" for a small salute cannon.

jerrywh:
If you are going to get set up for true investment lost  wax casting. you can expect to spend at least $4000 or $5000 . That's if you make almost all your own equipment. If you buy it will cost about $20,000 or more.
  The vacuum pump , vacuum chambers and burnout oven are the most expensive parts. Depending on the size of the parts you intend to cast you will need a centrifugal casting machine or a vacuum casting table. You will also need a wax injector.  After all this. most gun makers who want the silver parts are not willing to pay the price for them. The price kind of weeds out the wantabee's
   BUT-- if you make guns  in the price range of  $20,000 to $100,000 it will pay off well.
Then you can sell the equipment when your done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version