Author Topic: First Build from a Blank done  (Read 8216 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
First Build from a Blank done
« on: August 18, 2013, 05:11:39 PM »
Here is the project I have been working on for some time for my brother in law.  It is my first build from a blank.  Dave Keck did inlet the barrel and drill the ramrod hole for me.  The rest is my doing.  My goal for this project was to learn as much as I could and I certainly did.  My goal was to build a Western NC, Eastern TN rifle, I may have ended up with a fantasy rifle, but I am ok with that.  The rifle is .45 cal, features a pivoting patchbox, hardware from Track of the Wolf, RE Davis, and Dennis Glazener.  The lock is a Chamber Late Ketland. I made the pipes and the toe plate.  I also made the front sight.  The stain is a homemade vinegar stain that I am pretty tickled with.  I want to thank Meteor Man who provided the profile pattern, Dennis Glazener for all sorts of advice, Jeff Botiger for help with the patchbox and the advice of many of you on here.   

The heart is made from antler from a deer my brother in law great grandfather killed.  I also used it for the sidepates and to cover the area of the entry pipe.

Man I learned a lot of patience with inletting on this project.

I made the front sight from an old silver nickel and a penny.  For giggles I left the In God We Trust visible

This is my brother in laws happy face, he is on the left.  I am on the right and my favorite niece is in the middle.

Coryjoe

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: First Build from a Blank done
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 05:19:18 PM »
Cory, I like the gun, and the story that goes with it! Thanks for posting!

How did you like working from a blank instead of a pre-carved? I'm always interested in that kind of feedback.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 05:29:04 PM »
I enjoyed it.  My previous builds were a kit and a precarved stock with no inletting. I enjoyed the process I need to get a stronger vice for the rough removal.  I used a hand saw and rasps.  I do prefer doing my own inletting, I find it easier to inlet something that has not been started by someone else. I thought I was done with the shaping some time back, but then I went to the CLA show in Harrisonburg where I got to hold a lot of original mountain rifles and relieved I needed to go home and remove a lot more wood. 

Thanks,

Coryjoe

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 06:00:11 PM »
Nice looking rifle Coryjoe. I know for me the joy of doing this work is the shaping down of the stock from the blank and seeing the style come to life.  How are you keeping the rotating patch box indexed ? A couple of the Deep river school rifles have what looks like a notch in the but plate for a sprng catch on their rotating patch box lids.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 06:14:39 PM »
Thanks,

There is a notch in the buttplate and a spring in the lid.  I used a spring for a sliding patchbox.  Seems to work good.  My original plan was to make a metal banana style patchbox but my metal working skills were not there.  After three atempts and some research I switiched to the pivoting box.

Coryjoe

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 08:05:32 PM »
Coryjoe...thanks for posting this story and the pictures of your fine rifle.  There is obviously a lot of satisfaction gained in this build, both for you, and for your brother-in-law.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

greybeard

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 08:18:19 PM »
Very nice.   Also it is great to be able to put a face to your postings.
   Bob

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 09:18:30 PM »
Coryjoe I like it a lot. Stain is great and you did a fine job overall. Ya got skills with horn wood and steel. Let us know how she shoots. ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 10:16:51 PM »
Cory,
Nice job but I am afraid I don't see much E TN in it, looks to me your N.C. roots are showing through ;D Of which you should be proud!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Meteorman

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 10:35:39 PM »
Nice work Coryjoe.
A family heirloom is born.
That front sight might be a tad fantasy, but its pretty dang cool.
The color is great - would you mind sharing your vinegar stain recipe?
Whats next ?
/mm

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 10:53:03 PM »
 Nice work Cory, looks like you are on the way and making people Happy along the way.

Tim C.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 11:52:26 PM »
I guess I can't deny it.  Thanks.

Coryjoe

Cory,
Nice job but I am afraid I don't see much E TN in it, looks to me your N.C. roots are showing through ;D Of which you should be proud!
Dennis

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 11:55:56 PM »
Next is a pistol I am making and then on to a Reading Rifle from a blank.  Should be a great challenge. 

As far as the stain goes, I have a pint jar that I fill with white vinegar and about a loaf and a half of steel wool.  It sits for about two weeks and I try and stir it everyday.  It never completely absords the wool. 

There are about four coats on this rifle.  I also did three coats of Chamber's oil finish which has a slight red tint.

Thanks for the pattern.

Coryjoe

Nice work Coryjoe.
A family heirloom is born.
That front sight might be a tad fantasy, but its pretty dang cool.
The color is great - would you mind sharing your vinegar stain recipe?
Whats next ?
/mm

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 12:06:48 AM »
Coryjoe,
That is a good looking rifle and the little girl has a severe case of cuteness
which is harmless until she hits about 15-16.

Bob Roller

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 12:42:09 AM »
Yeah I think that is where the rifle comes in.

Coryjoe,
That is a good looking rifle and the little girl has a severe case of cuteness
which is harmless until she hits about 15-16.

Bob Roller

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 01:07:25 AM »
Sho 'nuff a rite respect'ble mountain rifle,and I believe like Dennis,yo Noth Car'lina roots be a showin,and thas Good.Best way to honor your ancestors.
I am getting fond of this particular pattern of rifle stock,on my latest build,it just sorta grew into this configuration.Could make a regular thing out of building this style.Also,building from blank is good.
Love them Southern Highlands,bro.I like watchin the river fog roll up my mountain,til I am sitting in a fog bank on my patio.It dont get much better,cept mebbe in Heaven.Well,Almost Heaven West Virginny is close enuff fer now.Cheers,Dave

mustangpalmer1911

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 01:26:40 AM »
Very nice!

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 03:18:51 AM »
Great looking gun!  The color came out real nice with the vinegar stain.  Yup- cute kid too!

sweed

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 11:02:52 PM »
Yeah!! What all them fellers said. AND your not gonna shoot off the end of your ram rod!!!!  ::)   ;D  Sorry just one of my pet peeves! Great lookin rifle there. Let us in on some targets if you will.

JB2

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 12:19:16 AM »
Well done on the rifle, Cory!  From the looks of your bother-in-laws' "happy face", he won't need the rifle to ward off any unwanted suitors for your niece.  Glad he was happy with the gun, I'd hate to see him mad!

bedbugbilly

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 01:11:00 AM »
I like it!  I love the inclusion of the antler that has meaning - just makes the rifle more personal.  You did a nice job on it and I'm sure your B in L will treasure it - and it will be passed down as a heirloom as well.  I love the front sight!

Got to say it . . . the scenery in the background fo the photo looks like a "little slice of heaven" as well!  Thanks for sharing!   :)