Author Topic: Info on Amos Benfer style school?  (Read 7074 times)

IRONSIGHT

Info on Amos Benfer style school?
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:25:06 PM »
Looking for any info on Joseph Long, and Amos Benfer of Snyder county. I'm told that Amos learned the gun building trade under Joseph. However I can't find allot of info on Amos Benfer except that he was born in 1861 and died in 1916. If anyone has any pictures of Amos Benfers work would you please post. Would like to build a longrifle in this style. I seen the rifle in ALR's library under Joseph Longs name, but they are saying that probably wasn't  his work. Any info on the style of school Amos Benfer would have done would be great.

Thanks, IRONSIGHT     

keweenaw

Re: Info on Amos Benfer style school?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 10:52:49 PM »
The best source of information on Joe Long is in Edith Cooper's book, The Kentucky Rifle and Me, which has pictures of a large number of his rifles.
Tom

IRONSIGHT

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 08:19:16 AM »
Snyder, thanks for the info.

IRONSIGHT

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 08:33:56 PM »
Am I reading those dates right? And you want to build an 1880s longrifle????  Is Amos a relative?
Tom C.

IRONSIGHT

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 07:33:55 PM »
Yes I have reason to believe he was a relative, and learned his trade from Joseph Long. Just trying to find any info on the style of rifle he would have built. For right now its research.

IRONSIGHT

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 09:51:42 PM »
There is a book by Edith Cooper ( see Library) with a full chapter on Long and shows many Long guns. I will look tonight to see if she mentions Benfor.
Hurricane

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 04:50:32 AM »
Please see the ALR library listing for Joe Long.  The Joe Long rifles at the bottom of the thread are typical products for this maker.  The information I posted (and subsequently was moved to the library) is about all that we know at this point.  Now on to the subject at hand--Amos Benfer.

Amos Benfer lived in Benfer and Troxelville, Snyder County, Pennsylvania.  Benfer is very close to Joe Long's shop and thus, it is possible and plausible that Amos Benfer at least knew Joe Long.  If Amos Benfer was born in 1861, Joe Long died when Benfer was 11 years old (1872).  I think this eliminates the theory that Benfer apprenticed to Joe Long.  I knew a relative of Benfer, who remembered him early in his life.  Amos Benfer was not a full time gunmaker, but was instead a farmer, who dabbled with gun building.  Most of the signed Amos Benfer rifles are relatively crude (being made of mostly mass produced parts), as compared to other Snyder County rifles.  Benfer did, however, still have the roman nose stock profile of other Upper Susquehanna guns.  That is not to say that Benfer was a "bad" maker, but he was building rifles after most had traded their black powder rifles for lever actions.  There are a few early Benfer guns that do in fact look like other rifles from the region, but they are often unsigned, but attributed via family stories (if these are reliable).  The known signed rifles are stamped "Amos Benfer [over] Troxelville, Pennsylvania." 

It is great that you are a descendant of Amos Benfer and I certainly do not want to discourage you from building a Benfer rifle.  Depending on what type of rifle you want to build, a Benfer style may not be what you ultimately want for hunting and shooting.  It will look much like a mass produced gun, rather than what you may actually want to hunt with or shoot.   

IRONSIGHT

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 08:28:01 PM »
OK your right I do not what to build a 1880's rifle. It was just that when speaking with a local builder he told me  that I might have had a relative that was a gun builder. So I over reacted, and wanted to find out as much as I could.
                                                                              IRONSIGHT

keweenaw

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 06:03:24 PM »
Regardless of the tendency of this board to consider anything that wasn't built as a flinter before 1820 as unworthy of consideration, well unless it's Tennessee, the late makers in central Pennsylvania - mostly Snyder and southern Huntingdon Counties - built some neat stuff.  One of the things that is neat about it is that they were building those rifles and the rifles were getting well used long after the general transition to cartridge firearms.  Most  of those pieces are small caliber 36 or 38 squirrel rifles that tend to be very barrel heavy, have small butts designed for shooting off the arm, not the shoulder, and often have nice curly stocks with interesting finishes.  One thing about these late rifles is that because of the general consensus that they aren't much, the prices are affordable.  It would probably be cheaper to buy an original rifle than to have a custom maker produce one for you.  And what is any neater than having a rifle your great grandfather made?

Tom

Offline Loudy

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 09:53:17 PM »
Ironsight, 

I have to agree with Tom.  However, I must admit, being related to one of the late Snyder County gunsmith clans myself does bias my opinion to some degree.  I've found recreating percussion longrifles rifles in the style of my gunsmith ancestors to be very rewarding.  You may also?       

I've seen a few Amos Benfer rifles that were very nice.  I would be happy to e-mail you photos of a very great over-under double-barreled Amos Benfer rifle.  I also recall reading somewhere a claim that Amos Benfer apprenticed under an older Benfer relative.  Perhaps your research on these gunsmiths will turn-up some solid new information? 

Good luck with you project.       

Mark Loudenslager 

Offline Loudy

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 02:25:26 AM »
Ironsight,

There is good article about Amos Benfer entitled the "Christmas Rifle" in the October 1997 issue of The Gun Report magazine.  The author of the article is Arnie Dowd.  The article includes photos and a lot of good biographical information about this gunsmith.

Let me know if you have trouble getting a copy of the article.  I'd be happy to send you a copy. 

Mark Loudenslager

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 04:04:15 AM »
I want to qualify my earlier post so I don't appear as one of those "pre-1820 flintlock guys."  There are post Civil War guns built in Union and Snyder County that are highly desirable, but Benfer, as a farmer, did not quite fit the mold for the typical Upper Susquehanna builder of the day.  This only makes sense, in that he was building small game rifles that although fun to shoot cannot be used hunting unless you want to "bark" squirrels.  I also don't want to discourage IRONSIGHT from building a rifle matching the style of his ancestor, but I think it deserved noting that many of the late Benfer rifles may not meet the typical style that is recreated today.  Early Benfers do in fact look more like a classic Snyder County gun, but I have not seen an early Benfer that is clearly signed.  Perhaps I will wonder on to one at some point, but in the mean time, I am sticking behind my earlier assertions.  If anyone has pictures of a signed Benfer, I would encourage you to post it to the Library.

timM

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 05:13:21 AM »
Interesting observations on the predominance of early style guns on this forum.  The majority of contemporary  builds here on ALR do seem to be pre 1820 flintlocks and Tennessee rifles. 

There truly are great guns that fit well outside that 1820 time line. Bedford rifles are a favorite of mine.  Currently in the "library" there are 26 of the 44 listed guns (excluding the Tennessee's) that are easily post 1820.

I have collected some guns that I figure most people probably wouldn't understand.  Late, not embellished but having a hook that caught my interest.  I guess each to their own.  tim
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 08:11:41 AM by timM »

IRONSIGHT

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 08:36:38 PM »
Wow, didn't expect to get much of a responce on this. Mark thanks for the offer on that article. Still looking for one, if I can't find one will let you know. I may not copy one of his rifles, but I would still like to find out as much as I can on him and his work.

Thanks again,
                                                                                  IRONSIGHT