Author Topic: Table shoot  (Read 8871 times)

Lutes

Table shoot
« on: August 26, 2013, 03:58:40 AM »
Our local club held our first table shoot today. It was a practice run so to speak to get use to th new method of scoring. We only had 4 members out but had a great time. I am sure we will be holding more in The future.

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Table shoot
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 04:42:16 AM »
Lutes,
It's a great game and I predict it will catch on. At Alllen Coon's range we have gone from less than a dozen to 25+/- shooters.  It is helping some of us more "mature" shooters that can't get up and down, on the chunk gun line so easily, on the line and competitive.
Mark
Mark

Lutes

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 04:46:16 AM »
I full well know what you are saying.

Paul Griffith

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 02:16:50 PM »
Always the same talk about getting older & can't get up & down, bla bla bla. I'd come down there & kick your butt if I  wasn't having so much trouble gettin out of this chair in my old age!

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 02:56:40 PM »
I wonder if we could start a barrel/chunk shoot where a sheet of heavey plywood is laid over a couple of 30 or 55 gal. barrels and we could shoot off of that elevated platform?  ;D

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 03:52:52 PM »
Paul,
Smylee may have something there, we could use that platform to nap on between relays.
Mark
Mark

Old Bob

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 04:59:41 PM »
Always the same talk about getting older & can't get up & down, bla bla bla. I'd come down there & kick your butt if I  wasn't having so much trouble gettin out of this chair in my old age!

Paul I still think we oughta get a couple of those hoists they use in the nursing homes and use them to get those old and busted up chunk shooters up off their mats. Let the target runners operate them and we could kick in a few extra dollars for their tips. I could get by with just some help getting on my hands and knees. I'm alright after that...for now.

Paul Griffith

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 04:20:01 AM »
Darn kids are lettin us down. Coon & I always talked about each old chunker gettin um a pet young shooter to haul around. We could set back & crow & brag about our youngun, maybe put a little side bet on the whole thing. Now we just gotta find somebody young enough that Geratol isn't already sponsoring them.

That plywood idea may have some merit. What if you hinged it at the ground with the 8ft pointin up. You just sorta lean against it while it's tipped down taking you with it. Might spring load the snot out of it for the trip back up. That way it'd pop up with enough force to sorta pitch you all the way back to the loadin benches. Save a bit of walkin that way.

Paul

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 04:30:16 AM »
Paul,
Now you're getting carried away, spring load that board and we'd need a safety belt and helmet Why not just put wheels on the loading bench and have it rolled back and forth to the shooting table? I bet Allen would buy into that.
Mark
Mark

Lutes

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 04:42:16 AM »
I kinda like Paul's ideal. But then with all the different weights it would be subject to it would be kinda hard to regulate the spring back. By the way Paul if you ever made it down I am sure a butt kicking is exactly what we would be in for!

Offline LH

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 05:24:07 AM »
JUst find some really big chunks (about 5 feet high) and prop on them standing up. ;D

tuffy

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 01:39:06 PM »
Why not just put some plywood on our recliners and go from there?  ;D ::) ;D

CW

Old Bob

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 04:38:39 PM »
Darn kids are lettin us down. Coon & I always talked about each old chunker gettin um a pet young shooter to haul around. We could set back & crow & brag about our youngun, maybe put a little side bet on the whole thing. Now we just gotta find somebody young enough that Geratol isn't already sponsoring them.

That plywood idea may have some merit. What if you hinged it at the ground with the 8ft pointin up. You just sorta lean against it while it's tipped down taking you with it. Might spring load the snot out of it for the trip back up. That way it'd pop up with enough force to sorta pitch you all the way back to the loadin benches. Save a bit of walkin that way.

Paul

I think we ought to bring this up at Roundbottom in November. Seriously!  ;)

jamesthomas

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 07:23:19 PM »
 If I ever had to lay down an shoot something it would take me about 15 minutes to get up. An then it would be Loratab time! :(.

Paul Griffith

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 03:14:37 AM »
I didn't think about the weight differences relating to the spring loaded shooter ejector. I have this vision of Big Bob Dagner dialing in the machine for himself & say Bevel Down Gard crawling in with out resetting the thing. As Joey sails over Coons barn, high in the air, one of the boys, crawls out of a jug, looks out'a the barn & proclalims that he had no idea that Osh Kosh had a blimp.

Paul

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 03:39:15 AM »
Paul,
I love it, THE OSH KOSH BLIMP. I almost choked on dinner I was laughing so hard.
Mark
Mark

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 06:21:43 AM »
I once worked on an old Quiropractic bed that was spring operated mechanically.  It had a dial on it that allowed the table to be released with from one to four springs. 
You could probably get a number of these real cheap since no self respecting DC would ever use one now.  Haw, Haw!
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

mmprwarner

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 03:40:35 PM »
Paul,
I love it, THE OSH KOSH BLIMP. I almost choked on dinner I was laughing so hard.
Mark

Mark
That's not the first time that Osh kosh blimp has been spotted a few years back it was observed going over the chunk range of friendship. Had something to do with a small campfire. I've been working on a system to stand Shooter backup but having problems with that weight issue. That Paul brought up as soon as we overcome that. I'm presuming that we will want and assist chair at the table shoots you know I could really get into just having a gun bearer. Then when you go on the senior tours, you could just lay there, let them bring it to you fire your shot. Send your board runner and maybe work in a nap while our rifle is being reloaded and our  X is being hung

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 06:51:02 PM »
Robin,
That's why I suggested putting wheels on the loading tables. The gun boys could roll them up to the line when we were ready to load the next round. Roll them out of the way until the shot was fired and we wouldn't even need an assist chair.
Mark
Mark

Offline tpr-tru

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 04:30:48 AM »
We held a table shoot at Harveys Lake Rod & Gun Club, Luzerne County, Pa on August 18.  Six shooters all had preset notions of ease of scores being high due to the 30 yard distance.   Every humble shooter learned something about what is easy.     We used the three shots for group,   that is the easy part.   Then 10 shots for the X.    We called this a familiarization match,  no scores kept. 

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 06:37:42 AM »
One of the turkey shoots I used to go to around here , used old doors that were suitably propped up at one end.
It worked real well.  Unfortunately , the match is no more, but I've often thought about doing something similar.
It was a great idea.