Author Topic: Stabbing for relief carving  (Read 18410 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Stabbing for relief carving
« on: August 28, 2013, 04:10:23 PM »
I thought I'd give stabbing a try, as I've never done a whole design with this method.

The first thing you gotta do before stabbing the carving is to have your drawing EXACTLY what you want. Once stabbed in, the design is committed. I spent a lot of time drawing, erasing, drawing again. I even sent pictures to friends who commented on 'this or that might look better if'.... this is really helpful.

I made up some tools out of spring steel, old gravers, whatever happens to be about the right size. These are round ended tools:
1) the biggest, on the left, is 1/8" wide, is beveled on BOTH faces, sharp as a razor on the edge.
2) the middle tool is FLAT on one side, rounded on the other, about 3/32 wide at the tip. This enables one to make pretty tight radius curves. The flat side MUST be toward the inside of the curve.
3)The small tool on the right is about 1/16 wide. Flat on one side, round on the other.

The marks in the wood: top is STAMPED in with a mallet. The bottom marks are PUSH and ROLL.

As seen looking at the edge of the tool, you can see how thin I've ground them down.

Instead of tapping the tools in, I push down and roll the tool in the direction I want it to travel, steering while I roll. I can go over this as many times as I like to deepen the cut. I can tap the tools in, too, but the rolling allows me to follow a line better; it's not quite so 'stepped'.

Completed stabbing. Now the background must be removed, and then the raised relief must be detailed. But that is for another day....

Here is a sample photo of backgrounding for relief carving. I used a small fishtail gouge, maybe a #3 sweep x 6mm wide, which is shallow curvature, to cut away the background up to the stabbed lines. Once sufficiently cut down, I switch to a small rasp to flatten out the peaks and valleys of the gouging. THEN I scrape the rasped surface smooth. Turn your piece in low angling light so your eye can pick up high and low spots, inconsistencies of contour, etc.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:54:54 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Stabbing for relief carving
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 04:12:19 PM »
ps: the relief work at the end of the cheekpiece is done with a parting tool, which still needs  a lot of cleanup. I changed horses mid-stream.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 04:51:32 PM »
I give credit to Rich Pierce for the 'Rolling tool' method. He gave me a tool he'd made with just the same contours as the above flat backed tools. I took his idea and miniaturized the tools.

That is what this whole experience of making things is for me. I gather ideas from all over the map, and put them together in my own mental 'tool box'. My hope is that you'll see something in the tools or techniques above that you can use for your own projects. I certainly mine the ALR and my bretheren for ideas. Thank you very much, everyone.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 05:23:58 PM »
Tom,Thats a great looking technique. I plan on giving it a try in the future. IT should be put in the tutorial section.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 05:41:44 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, TopKnot.

Before it would go in the tutorials, I have to see how the technique pans out for me in the actual build.

After the topic has spent some time HERE, in building, there will be feedback from others that may alter my techniques or tools.

Once I've processed and revised the information, I'll put it into the Tutorial section.

Meteorman

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 08:02:07 PM »
many thanks for taking the time to post the great pics and narrative, Tom.
/mike

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 10:05:53 PM »
Well darnit just when I was getting pretty confident with my parting tool - now I'm going to have to give this a try and compare  :).  That looks really nice and crisp so far! Once relieving is started, is it possible to go back and make the cuts deeper with those same rolling tools? I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out for you. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 10:17:56 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out for you. 
-Eric

Don't be putting a jinx on me!

I like the crispness. So Far. We'll see how it goes after relieving. I may have to make some special chisels for relieving where I have to get into round-ended notch. A knife, skew and fishtail will work for much of the relief work.

I have always done the parting tool for outlining, so I'm pretty excited about this.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 10:21:23 PM »
 What kind, as in length/shape, handles do they have?

Thanks, Tim C.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 10:38:01 PM »
What kind, as in length/shape, handles do they have?

Thanks, Tim C.

What is this, the Spanish Inquisition?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 10:43:32 PM »
I will post some pix of the handles soon. Short overall tool length is ideal. Mine are some stupid handles that I have to change. They're not comfortable.

Graver handles, with a broad ended handle, is easier to apply pressure with little fatigue. The graver handles have a flat on one side, so have that line up with the flat side of the cutting tool when you mount the tool in the handle.

coutios

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 10:53:50 PM »
  What Tom Says..  My stabbing tools are made to extend about 2 inches from either a palm chisel or push graver handle.  Running with the grain you can easily sink the chisel in an eigth inch or better.. Don't know why you would need to.. Go easy when running cross grain in a hard piece of wood...

Regards
Dave

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
I was always taught that high end cabinet and furniture carvers stabbed in and that the parting tool method was used on lesser quality items.
David

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 12:20:45 AM »
Oh, hahahahah, Oh, help! I just fell off my chair. Dave, would you please come over and help me up?

deertracker

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 12:27:50 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to post this! Wonderful photos.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 03:06:26 AM »
Boy would I love to see a short video clip of these tools in action...hint..hint ;)
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline tpr-tru

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 05:00:13 AM »
Acer,  the method that Ed Wenger shows at the ALR Tent,  and David Price Method Tutorial at Dixon's appear to be similar.  Your method here is with smaller tools and rolling to outline as compared to using gouge radius.   Much less outlay for tools required.   Waiting on your finished work.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 05:12:01 AM »
Ed Wenger? Who's that?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 05:42:11 AM »
NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

carry on.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 05:57:24 AM »
Like the design.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 07:15:44 AM »
And now for something entirely different... ;D
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 07:22:06 AM »
But seriously, I'm currently stabbing in a carving pattern myself.  I'm sold on this method.  My results took a major leap forward when I began using it.  I'll try and take a few photos along the way.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 02:36:07 PM »
Jack Haugh stabbed his carving and used an ice pick for the tool...He told me he blunted the end till he had the size he wanted, and stoned a flat on it, and then sharpened it...Same tool Gary uses...A flat and radiused face for outlining the carving...That is how I do mine and it works great...Dan
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 02:52:34 PM »
I tried a stab-move-stab method, and ended up with a slightly more steppy look. Maybe it won't make any difference in the finished carving; I don't have enuff experience behind me yet.

But I really do like the result of the stab-and-roll. The only tool I might add would be a little flat cisel for the end cuts, where two lines come together at a VEE, for example. Round nosed tools won't get to the very point of the Vee, if you get my point.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 03:27:15 PM »
Good stuff, Tom!  Dan brought up a great point about ice picks.  For those who don't want to spend a bunch of money, with just a little work, they make great tools for stab carving.  I typically like to use gouges for radius cuts, like volutes, but a small ice pick tool (about 1/8") works well also.

Just my two cents about drawing...  I like to lay everything out on paper, then transfer the drawing to the stock with carbon paper.  For me, I've found it easier to tweek / erase on a piece of paper.  You can turn the paper to different angles, look at it in a mirror, etc., to get it "just so".  Plus, you have a copy of what you've done, and you can take the drawing to a copier and reduce / enlarge to fit your needs.   I have a note book full of designs, some used on pieces, and many that haven't been used.  Also, I think this has helped me with design layout, and getting a better understanding of what I want to carve.  Same thing with engraving...

Anyway, great thread!

Ed
Ed Wenger