Author Topic: Needing help with a loose rib on a Double Barrel  (Read 2668 times)

Offline gibster

Needing help with a loose rib on a Double Barrel
« on: January 15, 2009, 12:35:17 AM »
I wasn't sure where to post this, and if it needs to be moved to another area, that's OK.  I have a double barrel shotgun that the top rib is coming loose and would like to have it repaired.  I know that Ed Rayl does that type of work, but I also know that he is very busy and it may take a while for him to get to it.  If any of you know who can do this type of work, I'd appreciate if you could send me the info.  Thanks.
Gibster

Offline Jerry V Lape

Re: Needing help with a loose rib on a Double Barrel
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 12:43:48 AM »
Suggest you go to doublegunshop.com and ask that question.  There are any number of double smiths around that can solve your problem.  Kirk Merrington is certainly one but I would note that his services are of the highest order as sought by those having work done on the best of double guns.  (His is the Rolls Royce garage so you might not like the price if the work is for a Chevy - know what I mean?)   It would help to know what  your gun is. 

Offline wmrike

Re: Needing help with a loose rib on a Double Barrel
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 02:24:45 AM »
My goof - I earlier posted this under the thread about barrels keys.

If it is a set of steel barrels, my first call would be to Giacomo Sports in New York (315-336-1356).  These are ex-Perazzi people who specialize in Perazzis and  other high end guns, and are renowned for fast, compotent service.  I have heard of guys getting a barrel set back within the week if needed, but in no case will you be without for as much as a month.  They are competitively priced.  If the tubes are damascus, Kirk Merrington in Texas (830-367-2937) seems to be the odds-on favorite at least for authentic refinishing, and he could probably get you started in the right place for getting the rib relayed.  Those are just two quick suggestions.  I have no doubt there are others out there that do excellent work also.

Don't let people talk you into thinking you can do it yourself by rubbing some sandpaper under the rib and tickling it with a soldering gun or, worse, sticking some epoxy down there.