Author Topic: First shooting Tomorrow  (Read 2510 times)

Offline frogwalking

First shooting Tomorrow
« on: September 04, 2013, 05:40:44 AM »
If the weather cooperates, tomorrow I will shoot my new York rifle.  It has a B weight Rice 45 barrel.  I have a supply of 440 and 445 forged balls, and a good supply of various thickness of ticking.  What starting load do you suggest to work up an accurate load?  (I don't mind using a short starter, but I don't want to have to hammer the ball into the barrel.)

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:23:39 AM by frogwalking »
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
Re: Firt sahooting Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 08:16:59 AM »
Start with your caliber load, 45 cal. = 45 gr I like 3 f in my .45 Gm bbl. & .015 to .018 tick'n patch.  go up by 10 gr. from a bench to get the best load--maybe 65 gr. just shoot & see.   The .45 is my rifle of choice & been shooting the same one since 1978.     ....Tom 

Offline Standing Bear

Re: Firt sahooting Tomorrow
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 02:47:48 PM »
From the post "starting out"

Re: Starting Place ?
« Reply #4 on: Today at 06:43:49 AM »    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, use a small aiming point on the target.  1" mostly round or square made with a black marker will suffice.  stick on dots work too but not any better.

Second, make sure your bench technique is adequate.  Really solid sand bag rests front and back and use the front hand at the toe of the stock - I like to even have my elbow supported when shooting a curved butt plate off the upper arm.  The bench and rests should be high enough that you are sitting straight up.   As I am using the bench to tune for offhand shooting, I sit at right angle to the line of fire.

GM barrels have been said to need 100+ shots to start attaining accuracy potential so shoot it a bunch or lap the barrel.  My .54 GM is starting to group better tho it was pretty good from the start.

Wipe between shots till you get a load you know works then work on no  wiping.  I lightly moisten a patch by laying it on my tounge then one pass in and out.  Use the other side of the same patch for the next shot.

Try the same ball patch and lube combinations with FFg Goex.  I use FFg in all my flinters even the .40 but that doesn't mean yours will like it.

Many find great improvement using an over powder wad.

Good luck!
TC

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:50:41 PM by TCompton »
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: First sahooting Tomorrow
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 10:24:18 PM »
I've always ended up with about 60grns (3F) and a .440" or .445" ball and .017" to .024" ticking.  It's a hunting load but crazy accurate.  Around 30grns to 40grns makes a nice, accurate light load.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Vomitus

Re: First shooting Tomorrow
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 01:06:58 AM »
   I see your spell checker kicked in. Mine is a piece of shut!