General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

non-lead projectiles

(1/8) > >>

axelp:
Problem: CA lead ban has ruined hunting in my local woods.

Anyone have experience with shooting non-lead projectiles out of a slow-twist roundball longrifle barrel?

A-anyone ever try bismuth for roundball?
B-100% copper?
C- Lead free Pewter?
D- silver? I'm desperate!

thanks

Axe

Daryl:
I think moving would be cheaper than shooting Bismuth balls.  Impacts with hard objects like bones, would tend to disintegrate or break up Bismuth balls.  Lead-free Pewter?- what's that?  Copper and silver - too light, however at close range, Roundball shoots marbles.  Back home, eons ago, the game warden's son used to shoot barbles in his original 16 bores.

Evil Monkey:
Gold has a similar density to lead and is non-toxic.

T*O*F:
Get a smooth rifle and shoot patched ball bearings.  They can be had in all sizes and are cheaper than all the alternatives.  Unless CA has a ban on armor piercing ammo too.

Roger Fisher:

--- Quote from: TOF on January 15, 2009, 07:03:52 PM ---Get a smooth rifle and shoot patched ball bearings.  They can be had in all sizes and are cheaper than all the alternatives.  Unless CA has a ban on armor piercing ammo too.

--- End quote ---
Now that sounds like your salvation.   You will be the 'only' hunter in the woods >:(  What does the state game 'commision' say abt this?  Yes, boys and girls they are after us bit by bit.   In fact in a few mos it will be worse, seems like!  Terrible. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version