Author Topic: 1,000 yard Black Powder with a .45 cal percussion..using a Civil War rifle/scope  (Read 7060 times)

1911tex

No one can put down the effects of our BP rifles!

Offline Daryl

Excellent.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

doug.brayman

That is awsome. I just might have to aquire a rifle like that some day soon.

Offline PPatch

Well that looks like all kinds of fun.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

jamesthomas

That's some nice shooting, But I wouldn't have said anything about making my own blackpowder, He could have the Feds knocking on his door if he's not careful.

nosrettap1958

Does it say how big was the powder charge? I would like to see the results of his shooting while using factory produced powder where we can see the accuracy of the rifle and its rifling whereas using the homemade powder injects too many variables into the testing and may or may not be reducing the effectiveness of his testing.  Very good video though and he put a lot of time and effort into this.

hawknknife

1911Tex, I have an original .451 Enfield sharp shooter's rifle by Thomas Turner.  It has the same checkering pattern at wrist and forearm, fully adjustable rear sight, rifle is marked "South Carolina"
on top of breech.  Barrel is marked "Turner's patent" in ref to the rifling.  The rifle shows age and use but bore is pristine brite.  It has an egraved lock plate and breech.
   I have several other civil war sharp shooter's rifle, one belgian .48 cal sold to the state of ohio.  It also has a mint bore which leads me to believe the bore aspect on these rifles was well taken care of...Carl

1911tex

hawknknife:  It seems to me you have very rare civil war sniper rifles...I dont know where to suggest you go, but someone on this site may assist.  Those belong in a museum where folks can see rare civil war weapons !  Maybe the Smithsoniun may be interested.....

hawknknife

these are pics of the Thomas turner sharpshooter’s rifle I mentioned.
.451 cal.
pretty rare gun with an original sling which is extremely rare
hawknknife@hotmail.com
www.hawknknife.com

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 04:53:09 AM by hawknknife »