Author Topic: fer-du-lac target question  (Read 4351 times)

Offline SCLoyalist

fer-du-lac target question
« on: September 05, 2013, 06:32:08 PM »

At what distance is the fer-du-lac target (one shot each at two 8 ring black 6-bulls , two shots at 8 ring black big bull, one shot at  1/2 big bull) normally posted in a match?     

Offline LH

Re: fer-du-lac target question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 07:08:01 PM »
One of the matches at Friendship is 50yds,  but I think I've seen it posted at 25 and 50 in different matches.

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 03:36:32 AM »
Thanks, LH.   I only recall seeing it in a match once, and couldn't recall at what distance.   The two 6 bulls only have the 8 ring black so that suggested 25 yds, but the big bull suggests 50 yds.

Offline LH

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 03:09:19 PM »
That target was made up before the 7ring black six bulls came along, so that's why the 8ring black six bulls are on it.   I guess. 

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 03:33:25 PM »
That target was made up before the 7ring black six bulls came along, so that's why the 8ring black six bulls are on it.   I guess.  

Makes sense.  

Not that it has anything to do with the fer-du-lac target, but I remember, back in the late 70s when I started shooting BP, that I hated the 8 ring black 6 bull at 50 yards above all other paper targets.  The gun and the sights I was using back then weren't the best and I remember sometimes wondering if just shooting 5 shots and hoping some would fall into the scoring rings by chance wasn't the best way to shoot that target.  ;D   Nowadays, the 7 ring black version gives a little more to aim at, even if the scoring rings are the same diameters, and some clubs still use the 8 ring version out at 50, probably to keep from having to stock two versions of 6 bull targets.   I still get a little up-tight, just out of habit I guess, for any 50 yd 6 bull target.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 07:40:45 PM by SCLoyalist »

Steve-In

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 04:52:12 PM »
We shot the Fer-du-Lac at either 25 or 50. Fun target to shoot. 
The 7 & 8 ring 6 bulls make it easy for the range officer to quickly check that the targets are posted at the correct range. 
Another fun target is cut the 2 6 bulls, the 100 yd bull, and the 1/2 bull from the fdl and you can use them for different matches.  Post the 1/2 bull vertical and shoot 3 or 5 shots, use the 100 for juniors and the double 6 bull for ladies.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 05:53:31 PM »
Being a target shooter that uses a 6 o'clock hold, I've come to really hate the 1/2 bull on the fer-du-lac target, especially at 50 yards.  >:(  I'm working on changing to a center hold because of this target and the many novelty and animal targets I find at matches anymore.  With those targets it's harder for me to determine where to aim with a 6 o'clock hold.
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline LH

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 07:20:52 PM »
U rite about animal targets Moleeyes.  Every single one has a different sight picture and it just seems like anything more than about 1" over the sights is too much 6'0clock.  When I was young and could see sights and stuff,  I learned to zero "through the sights"  so that's the way I've always wanted to shoot.  Over the years I noticed some good shooters who had a lot of trouble with animal targets and I finally realized they were the shooters who zeroed for a 6'Oclock hold.  Most of the animal targets have a much more generous 10 ring in one direction or the other though and are mostly easier than roundbulls to score well on for me.  Squirrel target is all elevation,  the 10 ring is probably 3 or 4 inches wide. Running chuck,  buffalo are the same.  The cursed Bear has a very tall 10 ring and is all windage.  At 100 yards though,  its my least favorite target.  You can hit within 2 inches of the ten ring and score "0".  Just seems to me that if you get that close to what you're shooting at, a hundred yards away with a flintlock and open sights,  you should get a few points.  :)  The roundbulls are the best test of marksmanship in my humble opinion.  Fair in every direction.  The further from the middle you get,  the less points. 

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 01:50:20 AM »
I've found that a center hold works great for novelty targets and somewhere between ok and great for bullseye targets out to 50 yds.   However, for 100 yds, the drop is such that I have to hold so high on the bull or the animal that it's hard to see just where I'm holding.

Pays your money and takes your pick, I guess.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 04:20:18 AM »
You know I grew up with a rifle running the woods of Western Pennsylvania and learned to shoot with a center hold.  All my hunting rifles are sighted in for a center hold.  But over the years of target shooting I got into the habit of using a 6 o'clock hold like so many target shooters.  Tomorrow morning before the sun gets too blistering hot and the Florida thunderstorms roll in, I'm going to spend some time at the range working at getting in the habit of using a center hold again.  I've been thinking about doing this for awhile, and I guess tomorrow is as good a time as ever to start.

And LH, you're right about seeing sights much better when you're younger.  I'm in my late 60's and you notice my nickname is Mole Eyes, not Eagle Eyes.
Don Richards

Offline LH

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 07:21:42 PM »
Well Moleeyes,  I'm not far behind you in years.  Fixin to turn 63.  Open sights is something I've messed with since I was 6years old and it seems to get more complicated the more I think I know about it.  My rear sight is halfway down the barrel nowadays and I have a shooting lense for a Knobloch glass frame that I got an optometrist (who understands gunsights) to make for me.    When I was a young man,  up til my late 40's,  I had 20/15 vision in both eyes.  Since then,  I've spent way more time trying to see sights properly than I ever wanted to.  Since you are going back to a "through the sights" zero,  my advice to you would be make sure you can see the front sight clearly and keep the rear notch as shallow as you can. Adjust the width of the notch so the front sight is in focus.   Its not as important for the target to be in focus as it is the front sight. Good luck and good shootin. 

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 09:37:14 PM »
LH, I've also slipped the rear sight about 4 inches further from the breech than is normally done and the difference that makes is very significant.  I can see my front site very clearly and I concentrate on it. 

I've seen pictures of original rifles that show where the sight was moved forward several times, probably as the owner got older.  So I guess that's a HC solution to aging eyes.

Don Richards