Author Topic: New 45 Cal. half stock  (Read 4206 times)

mlrifleNY

New 45 Cal. half stock
« on: September 11, 2013, 05:03:48 PM »
  Here is the latest rifle I just finished. 45 Cal. half stock, 7/8" unknown barrel maker, unknown triggers, and a Bob Roller Lock. There is a 1/4" cast off and hangs very nice.

Jim

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
Re: New 45 Cal. half stock
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »
Very nice rifle!! Beautiful piece of wood!!!
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 07:15:58 PM »
Where did you get the capbox?

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 10:48:59 PM »
A very nice rifle .Crisp and a very practical style.These .45 caliber halfstock make great match rifles.I liked the mix of brass, nickle silver and iron ram pipes.
It's good to see this combination actually looks good.
I hope your mystery barrel and set triggers are worthy of the 1st class stocking job you did.
Looks like you used a 3/8 ramrod instead if the slimming but breakable 5/16ths .
Very sensible .I keet breaking my skinny 5/16th rod on my half stock and it is more epoxy than wood at the present .

mlrifleNY

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 02:03:07 AM »
  The cap box was part of what came with it. The parts were from a man that passed away back many years ago and these parts and others were just setting around. In fact the Bob Roller lock was made on Feb. 2 1970 as stamped inside the lock. The trigger is a double set single lever so it has to be set to fire. I plan on taking it to the range soon and finding out what it will do.

Jim

whetrock

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 05:19:19 PM »

Jim,
Very nice! Can you tell us about the staining and finish?  You achieved a very nice contrast in the curl with that stain.

Whet

mlrifleNY

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 07:01:06 PM »
 Whetrock, I used 1 coat of Magic Maple Stain and let it dry for a few hours and 0000 steel wooled it back, then I put on 1 coat full strength of LMF maple stain. I let everything dry over night and 0000 steel wooled it back just enough to smooth out the finish. For the sealer coat I have been using for many years Thompson's water seal and keep the woos soaked for about 2 hours. I then wipe it down and let it set for 2 or 3 days. The top coat is 5 coats of tung oil. May not be what most use but I have never had a problem using the water seal on my rifles.

Jim