Author Topic: Morrison Repair work  (Read 5435 times)

Offline JTR

• member 2
Morrison Repair work
« on: September 11, 2013, 02:49:14 AM »
A lot of you guys saw this rifle when it was first posted, and since that time, its been added to the Library as well.

This is a very nice and unusual rifle, given its two shot configuration. The owner didn’t want a full restoration, but instead wanted it stabilized to prevent further deterioration. To that end, none of the work I did was done with the intention of making the cracks and the breaks invisible, but rather made to look like a good simple repair, make the gun sound and strong again, while trying to retain the visible history of the gun as best as possible.

I know that I’ve been leaning toward this type of repair work as possibly being a viable alternative to a full on restoration, and some of you might, or might not agree. Of course if the gun is missing significant parts, a substantial length of barrel or forearm, you have to consider whether or not to replace those parts to return the gun to its original configuration, and each situation will bring its own questions and solutions. 

With this rifle, there were several issues that needed attention, but the primary issue was a crack through the web between the ramrod and barrel channels. This crack had split apart fairly significantly, and ran from the muzzle cap practically all the way back to the ramrod entry pipe. Basically, the forestock was completely split in half down the middle, following the grain of the wood, and was being held together by the muzzle cap, a couple pins, and the ramrod entry pipe.

Another issue, was that originally, the barrel would be removed from the stock be removing the tang bolt, then, sliding the barrel forward to release the barrel under lugs from the stock pins, but this feature had been lost at some point. The original forearm inlays that would have covered the stock pins were missing, and copper inlays had been put in their place, with holes through them to slide the stock pins in and out, as would usually be found on a rifle.

Another primary issue was that the patchbox door was missing. Also missing was the back half of the lower PB side plate and a few of the narrow pieces of brass there, and also some of the narrow pieces in the PB finale. Some of the brass was just missing, or lost, while most of the narrow pieces had been dissolved by green verdigris. The green verdigris had also found its way under both of the brass lock plates, and was starting to fill the spaces between the lock plates and the wood there.

Also, at some point the toe of the stock had been broken, and had been repaired with a couple nails and a copper inlay on both sides of the stock over the break to help support it. The copper inlay was still on the patchbox side, but was missing from the cheek piece side.

There was also a couple other pieces of wood cracked out of the stock. The pieces from either side just ahead of the locks were still there, tacked onto the stock with small nails. I re-attached these more permanently, but didn’t try to conceal the original crack completely. Other cracks were glued to prevent further splitting and the few old splintered out pieces of wood along the forearm were left as is.

I did a little tune-up on the locks to help them to be a little more reliable, and also cleaned all the active rust off the barrel, and did some other little odds and ends. At this point, this rifle should be good for another couple hundred years of enjoyment by admirers and collectors!

The rifle looks like it was made by Samuel Morrison, and the last couple of pictures show the barrel signature, which at first glance look like S * M, for Samuel Morrison. But the owner questions, and I agree, whether the first letter is actually an S? 

Hopefully some of you sharp eyed guys will have a good opinion.

This rifle would have been a real adventure to shoot! It holds two loads, one loaded directly on top of the other. To shoot it, if you cock the left hammer and pull the trigger, it shoots the top load. Then, if you cock the right hammer and pull the trigger, it shoots the bottom load. However, if you load both loads and cock both hammers and pull the trigger, it shoots both loads simultaneously,,, or more or less simultaneously!
John 

Before                                                                                                                                                            After

These next ones are pictures of the locks, interesting and simple!

Here's two different color versions of the barrel signature. S*M, or ?*M

John Robbins

Offline Fullstock longrifle

Re: Morrison Repair work
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 03:22:15 AM »
Nice job John, I like what you've done here, less is always better when it comes to restoration.

Frank

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 03:30:40 AM »
John
Thanks for sharing, especially the pictures of the lock.There was a guy at Dixons this summer with pictures of a Lehigh rifle that was originally flint that was converted to a side slapper with a lock exactly like the one pictured. We concluded that Morrison had done the conversion. Very cool!!

Mitch

realtorone

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 03:36:31 AM »
John Very nice work to complement a very nice rifle.Don't know that I have ever seen a side by side  Side Slapper.  Again you should be very proud.
George

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 04:33:40 AM »
Wonderful set of before and after pictures. Very instructive. Thanks.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 05:20:41 AM »
John.......great job on your "repairs", they just seem to fit in real nice.   It's a wonder that it is in a rather tattered state.   I
doubt that it shot that well, especially with the "stacked" loads.   I remember a similar gun made by Kit Ravenshear, it was
made to shoot stacked loads and didn't work worth a hoot.   Here's a thought on the signatue.......it could be "L & M" fpr
Long & Morrison, although it doesn't fit in with a gun that I saw and was signed "Morrison & Long".   Fun trying to unscramble
this stuff.........Don

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 01:17:09 PM »
I definitely like what you've done here - very nice, and considerate of the age/history of the piece.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline louieparker

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 06:10:17 PM »
John I to like what you did here..  You did a great job and the owner showed good taste in how he wanted it to look. Louie

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 09:54:22 PM »
Thank you guys! I forgot to mention that Bill Paton suggested we post these pictures of his rifle in the first place, so they could be used in the new 'Restoration' thread that Hurricane initiated.
Bill has sent a few other pictures that should be interesting. One is an x-ray picture of the breech, which shows how the breech plug is shaped to accommodate the two loads.
The other is a hand drawn copy of the barrel signature. The first letter certainly looks more like a 'J', than an 'S'. Speculation on these letters is encouraged. Evidently, S Morrison had a son, John, that died as a young man.

I've included a few other pictures as well. These show the green verdigris that was creating havoc around the patchbox and locks.
Another picture is a small silver plate I put on the inside of the PB door, at the owners request, that documents the primary repairs.

I'm sure Bill will jump in here and answer any questions you might have regarding the rifle or maker. 
John

John Robbins

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 04:11:15 AM »
Don mentions the bad condition for a gun that probably didn't work very well. I agree it probably saw little actual use as the bore is in much better shape then the rest of the piece. The right lock (back charge) didn't work when the gun came to light, and the rear nipple was in good condition. The barrel shows no pitting around either nipple. The left lock worked and had a smashed nipple, which John teased back to usable condition with judicious hammer work. I have examined a FL superimposed charge rifle that had the left vent (front charge) spiked like a cannon vent, making me think the rifle was used as a singleshot piece. If this Morrison had been used that way, the right (rear) nipple and surrounding barrel might show more use. Putting this together, I think this beautiful piece was a disappointment to its owner, but a joy to the young boys who followed and played lots of "pioneers and Indians" with it , repeatedly snapping the one good lock and abusing the whole thing.

However, the nicely done copper heal crack reinforcement may have been done during its working life, and the crudely done copper escutcheons I suspect were also done during its working life after an uninformed cleaner forced the barrel off and ruined the escutcheons because he didn't understand the "slide forward" barrel removal mechanism built into this Upper Susquehanna rifle.

For what it is worth, this is all conjecture, trying to make sense out of an interesting rifle with an apparent long history of abuse. 

Bill Paton of Anchorage, currently in Springfield, IL and heading east.
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 04:35:00 AM »
Don also sugests an "L + M" for the script on the barrel. Now with the recent photos and script drawing posted by John, it should be apparent the first letter is not an "L" because the top loop starts on the wrong side. It is proper  for a "J" or an "I".  So, who signed the top flat of this barrel on a rifle with all these Morrison characteristics? Who can help?  Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 02:52:34 PM »
Kudos, A very fine and respectful restoration and a very unique and worthy rifle to save. 
Glad you preserved this one.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 07:47:46 AM »
This is a great piece of restoration/stabilization work on what I would regard as a very important rifle, given its uniqueness. The work that JTR did on this is quite well hidden and the only sign of any handling is the cleaner, brighter look to the gun. This is the pinnacle of the art. Aside from the record inside of the patchbox door, there is little to nothing that suggests that the gun was ever on his bench. Well done! The owner can only be greatly pleased over the work done on it.
Dick