Author Topic: Knupp Rifle  (Read 4453 times)

Offline James Wilson Everett

Knupp Rifle
« on: September 11, 2013, 03:11:17 PM »
Guys,

Here is a nice rifle that was donated recently to the Somerset, Pennsylvania, Historical Center along with the rifling bench that was probably used to rifle the barrel bore.  The gun is in really pristine condition and is a good example of one made in the very late percussion period.  Charles Monroe Knupp (1863 - 1939) probably did not start making guns until well into the cartridge gun era.  He was the nephew and apprentice of Jonathan Dunmeyer.  Probably many of us on this site can understand a gunsmith still making muzzle loaders when everyone else was using modern breech loaders.  This one is nearly identical to one shown in plate 223, The Pennsylvania - Kentucky Rifle.

Jim

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 07:42:59 PM by James Wilson Everett »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Knupp Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »
That's a heavy barreled gun!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 04:29:10 PM »
Sigh.
Given the way museums, in general, treat firearms and related items I see this as a mistake. Better a collector had it. Really.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 05:37:47 PM »
Well it sure does look like a Dunmeyer/Dormayer.  Had one in hand a couple weeks ago that
was in super condition that a guy had been given 52 years ago.  Same dark color, same carve
and patchbox.  Wonder how much of it was made by Knupp and how much by Dunmeyer?
   Speaking of having guns a long time, I was talking to a man in his 70s on Monday who as
a young teenager had worked off the cost of his neighbors muzzleloader by cutting his grass for
the summer.  The neighbor was around 90 years old at the time and had purchased the gun
directly from the Shenefelt shop, so I'm thinking 2 owners in 125 years or so.  Thought I would
share that story.  Couldn't talk him out of the rifle :-\
     I would never have guessed this rifle was made post 1880 which based on his birth year would
have to be a close approximation.  I wonder if in fact it was made by Dunmeyer and he put
his nephews initials on it for him?  Very interesting.  I wish the fellow who wrote the history
on Dunmeyers would chime in on this.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 04:26:33 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 04:22:25 PM »
Good thoughts on the Dunmyer - Knupp connection on this rifle.  J. Dunmeyer died in 1885 when C. Knupp was only 22 years old.  So, even though they were master - apprentice and uncle - nephew, their working years only overlapped by a very few years.  I did notice that the lock plate engraving, that is the decoration/shading, was clearly by the same hand as the patchbox engraving.  However, the initials seem to be engraved by a different gunsmith.  Or, at least, this is a possibility.  I tried my best to see any marking on the top barrel flat, but there is none there, too bad.

Indeed, as you suggest, this may be an unsigned J. Dunmeyer that was owned by his nephew - apprentice, C. M. Knupp.  Too bad the gun can't talk!

As to Dan's remark about the museum - collector issue, happily the folks in Somerset are clearly knowledgeable about the guns in their collection, perhaps unlike big city museums.  Most folks out here in the woods know how to care for their guns, and also how to get meat with them.

Jim

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 04:28:55 PM »
By the way, did I say how much I like this rifle.....she's a sweet little beauty and I bet she's
a delicate one.  Somebody said the barrel was heavy....is that the case?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Bob D

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 03:00:37 AM »
Wow!  I don't know how I didn't see this sooner.  Aside from the C.M. Knupp rifle pictured on page 277 of "The Pennsyvania Kentucky Rifle" by Kauffman it is only the second one I have seen photos of.  Kauffman stated that the rifle (also of the familiar Dunmeyer Somerset design) had "C. M. Knupp" on the top facit of the barrel.

Jim Whisker told me that he had seen another with C.M. Knupp's name on it that dated well into the 1900s.  Jim said if he hadn't seen the name on the rifle he would have sworn it was one of the best Somerset Dunmeyers he had ever seen.  There are probably more out there.  I guess you might say they are Dunmeyer Rifles made by C.M. Knupp.  Kauffman also noted that C.M. Knupp bought two barrels when Jonathan's possessions were sold.  Jonathan died rather young resulting from lingering conditions from the loss of a leg at the batle of Cedar Creek.  Though 22 at the time of Jonathan's death, C.M. was old enough to have served as an apprentice to Jonathan.  Whisker states that C.M. apprenticed with Jonathan.

Elias Knupp, C.M.'s Uncle who also was an apprentice of Jonathan's, went on to practice the gunsmith trade in Westmoreland County.  I have never seen photos of a gun made by Elias.

Those are great photos of a  really nice rifle.  Thanks for sharing them with us.  Bob D.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 04:35:38 AM by Bob D »