General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

loads

(1/4) > >>

Leon:
I'm about to finally finish a rifle kit that I bought from TOW a year ago. I have a C weight Rice .58 cal. thats 42 inches long. I am curious as to the powder charges, I plan to use this rifle for deer hunting and I realize that hot charges are not necessary for such game but I intend to get very familiar with this rifle when I develop loads for it. How strong is a swamped barrel like this one and does anyone know what size tends to be best for rice barrels in this cal.? I have 150 .570 on hand but I notice that .575 and .562 are also available. Leon 

Dphariss:
Depends on the rifle.
I used to shoot 120 gr of FFFG in a 58 years ago.
I would start with 90-100 of your chosen ganulation and go up from there.
It will not shoot very flat with much less than 100.

Dan

Leon:
Thank you for the response, I've read plenty in the past about people loading large amounts of powder in .58s but that was in straight barrels. Figured on starting out with 80 grs. and working up. maybe I'll start a little higher. Anyways I have to finish it first. Leon 

Frank:
If you are just punching holes in paper, I would start around 60 grains of powder. My 62 caliber rifle does fine out to 100 yards on targets with 60 grains. Not sure about a hunting load for a 58, but 62 caliber smoothbores drop a whitetail deer in its tracks at 50 yards with 70 grains of 3F.

frontier gander:
im deciding on what size ball to shoot out of my 58 myself. Today i fired 2 shots @ 100 yards using a .531 round ball and 100gr pyrodex. 3" group.  I use Two .020 patches.

.562 sounds good to me but then again i like the idea of the 280gr .570 round ball.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version