Author Topic: Tinsley?  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Levy

Tinsley?
« on: September 11, 2013, 09:00:42 PM »
I looked at a half stock percussion rifle last night that had a walnut stock, slightly swamped barrel, back action lock, single lever set triggers and a nice forged iron butt plate and trigger guard.  the breech plug tang was long, but shaped more like a Hawken tang than the usual lollipop Southern Mtn type.  The triggers looked like the typical Tenn. rifle type with the front trigger with the half-round base and the back trigger, deep crescent.  The butt plate was filed with facets on the heel.  the stock was in very good condition with a bit of a fish-belly lower line.  The trigger guard was is nicely made with the typical bow, but with a slight spur at the rear and not a closed loop type.  Oddly, the bow has some engraving on it.  The owner removed the trigger guard and the name Tinsley was stamped there on the rear extension.  the other extension may have had MO stamped on it.  The barrel appeared to have been signed at one time, but now unreadable.  sorry for the lack of good pictures, but had nothing to take them with and even lacked my usual magnifying glasses to look at it with.  It could be a re-stock with older parts.  Any Ideas from the iron mounted gun folks?  I'll see if I can get the owner to take some pictures of it.  James Levy   
James Levy

virginiaflintlock

Re: Tinsley?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:52:09 PM »
I would like to see pictures if you can get them.