Author Topic: Need Help with Barrel Markings  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Bill-52

Need Help with Barrel Markings
« on: September 13, 2013, 07:50:31 PM »
A member brought an old full stock flintlock to the range today that he rescued from a friend's dumpster.  The barrel (round, straight taper, smoothbore) had a two line stamping at the breech.  The first line was an oval with what appeared to be a three-armed cross (?) in it and an "M" on the right.  The second line was "L M 1830".  Sorry there is no photo -- I didn't have my phone with me.  

Other details:
- Flint lock marked LONDON WARRENTED
- Walnut stock
- Fowler-like brass triggerguard
- Brass butt plate
- The barrel extended 4" beyond the brass muzzle cap and had what appeared to be a bayonet lug where the front sight would normally be.  No rear sight.

It was in rough shape.  The forearm had been sanded to bare wood and missing wood had been replaced with bondo or plastic wood.  The breech plug was rusted and roughly 1/8" short of an aligned witness mark, so the barrel pins (if there had been any pins in it) were not aligned with the mortice or the underlugs.  And the barrel had been wire brushed bright.

Any help with origin and/or barrel markings would be appreciated.

Bill
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 09:10:38 PM by Bill-52 »

Offline vtbuck223

Re: Need Help with Barrel Markings
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 08:58:22 PM »
Sounds like a Mass militia musket of the "English style".  LM might be LH which is Luke Harrington....can't remember off the top of my head if there was an LM.

eddillon

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 11:31:47 PM »
In your description you mention "crossed arms".  If you mean lances or maces, it would indicate a Birmingham proof.

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 01:11:48 PM »
Thanks guys.  Went online and found pictures of a Massachusetts Militia musket and that is it.  What I described as a three-armed cross must be a P and the LM could easily be LH, given that the barrel is pitted but also taken back to bright (sanded, wire brushed, steel wooled, ?).

It breaks my heart to see how this piece of history has been butchered. 

Thanks again,
Bill