Author Topic: The Rifle at Julia's Lot 2419 looks to be by Peter Dormayer (Dunmeyer)  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Bob D

• Starting Member
The large "D" inlaid in the stock of  Julia's lot 2419 is nealrly identical to the one inlaid in the stock of the Peter Dormayer rifle shown on page 116 of the Whisker, Yantz book "Gunsmiths of Bedford, Fulton, Huntingdon, and Somerset Counties".  Jim Whisker told me that a closer look at that rifle revealed Peter's signature in that large D.  Additionally the rifles have similar lock bolt plates, and similar eagle plates.  Both have the same "worm type inlays' in the wrist areas of the stock.  The inlay at the back of the barrel tang is the same.  The inlaid pierced eagles are very similar.

The stock is typical of the profile of the other known Bedford rifles made by Peter, all of which have his signature or at least one of his initials on them.  If you look closely at the patch box finial on 2419 you will see that he has again incorporated his "D" the same as on the finial of two of his other rifles.  One is in Hetrick's booklet published by Shummway, the other in Duppstadt's booklet about the Dunmeyer rifles.

If I were the successful bidder on 2419 I believe I would be very comfortable in attributing it to Peter   I'd be interested in heaing any comments from others.  Unfortunately I will not be able to respond until I return from vacation on Sept 23.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:34:53 PM by Bob D »