Author Topic: old time builders in Dobson,NC area,and sw Virginia  (Read 3301 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
old time builders in Dobson,NC area,and sw Virginia
« on: September 22, 2013, 11:12:35 PM »
Hi fellows,as I am an old f-rt building mountain rifles,I am wondering if any of my ancestors did,or who might have been in the area of my forebearers.Most of my Fortner/Forkner/Faulkner family settled in /near Dobson,NC,and migrated up to Bland and Wytheville,Va in the late 18th century.I do like the  styles of both schools real well for some reason.I appreciate any info ya might have.Best regards,Dave Fortner

Offline mountainman70

Re: old time builders in Dobson,NC area,and sw Virginia
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 05:03:23 PM »
Do I need to move this topic somewhere else?Dave

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 07:24:10 PM »
I'm sitting in Dobson at the moment.  My research in the 18th century and this region reveals the known gunmakers around Salem and other parts of the Wachovia settlement.  I have not seena  record indicating a gunamker in the area, but that does not rule one out.

Coryjoe

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 08:48:39 PM »
Michael Briggs would be the one to answer this question. He is a member here and maybe he will chime in.

I am going to move this over into the Antique forum where I suspect you may get more information than in the builder forum.
Dennis
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:49:53 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 09:28:02 PM »
Thanks loads Dennis.I appreciate all y'all here.Dave

CoryJoe- most of my Fortner,etc connection came from Dobson.I have passed the exit on 77 for years,but havent been in town but once.Always seem to be in a hurry to get somewhere.Was just by there saturday afternoon coming home after a LONG week in Georgia.Thanks,Dave Fortner

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 12:36:37 AM »
Did someone call my name?

There was no known Longrifle School that operated in Stokes or Surry County, but there were individual gunsmiths that worked in the area.

Most local people purchased Longrifles from the gunsmiths in the Salem School or Jamestown School.

I have seen several Salem, Davidson, and Jamestown School Longrifles with the initials A.S. stamped on the side of the barrel.  I believe this stood for Abel Shields, a gunsmith in Stokes County that worked in the 1830 - 1840 period.  I believe that the local gun owners brought their Longrifles to him to have them converted to percussion, instead of taking them all the way back to Salem or Jamestown.

I hope this helps.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs