Author Topic: Jim Bridger Hawken in Helena Museum  (Read 18784 times)

Offline Herb

Re: Jim Bridger Hawken in Helena Museum
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2020, 02:58:09 AM »
Smokey, the Bridger, W.S. Hawken, Liver Eating Johnson, Pistol Grip and Carson all have inside diameter rod pipes about  .480 to .535, by actual measurement.  The entry pipes are .510, .5?, .480, .480, .490 (Carson) and .330 for the capbox Hawken, a .50 caliber, page 388 of Gordon's book.  Nelson Museum of the West in Cheyenne, S. Hawken .500 inside and .475 entry pipe inside.  Lincoln, NE ("Robidoux") Hawken .515 ID and entry pipe .485, my measurements.

The finish is probably a varnish with a dark brown color added.

Dan, I agree.  There is very little damage to Bridger's stock, except the front of the left lock panel is worn off, probably saddle wear.  I recently discovered that the toe had been broken off, accounting for the toe plate and butt plate being pinned together.  The toe is set forward, giving less pitch down to the muzzle.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 03:08:31 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline John Shaw

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2020, 04:08:16 AM »
I suspect the reason there is no crown on the Hawken rifles is that they were coned. At least according to what I've read.
Nice copy by the way, and great pictures.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2020, 05:04:05 AM »
Herb- did you get a really close look at the muzzle. I know you got a close-up picture. What I am referring to, was the muzzle filed out like on most Jaeger rifles?
The bottom groove and one at 8 & 9 o'clock appear to be filed larger, but not sure. It kinda looks that way and would make sense.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Herb

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2020, 05:29:57 AM »
No, I didn't examine the bore.  Wish I had.  The J&S Hawken at Helena has the same kind of muzzle treatment, and my photo of it shows more detail.  When GRRW had the Bridger rifle at their shop and Greg Roberts made a detailed drawing of it, he noted "muzzle not filed square", or about that.  You can see that the bottom half of the muzzle is shiney and the top half darker, indicating that the top half slopes backward.  But the muzzle is filed with the lands lower and then the grooves filed back in lower yet, for only maybe 3/8" at a guess.  The J&S shows this.
Herb

Offline Taylorz1

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2020, 06:00:57 AM »
Herb,

Thank you very much for your time and attention to detail on this post. Fantastic all around. I would be very interested in how you finished and aged the wood and metal to get such a close look. Thank you again

Zack t

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2020, 07:37:23 PM »
What is a "soft oil brown varnish" and how might one go about recreating it on a rifle?

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2020, 07:44:09 AM »
He's probably referring to a traditional oil varnish with some color added.  You can read more about it here.

https://www.muzzleblasts.com/MBO.Library/MBO.V5N2/MBO.V5N2A1.shtml
Phil Meek

Offline moseswhite

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2020, 06:30:49 AM »
Good job Herb !!

Offline Herb

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2020, 09:53:26 PM »
Here is the Kit Carson Hawken muzzle as photographed by my friend Kevin Meyer.

Herb

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2020, 07:33:39 AM »
Here is the Kit Carson Hawken muzzle as photographed by my friend Kevin Meyer.

VERY deep grooves! Nice!

58viktor

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2021, 03:03:20 AM »
The Bridger butt plate and cheek piece.  The toe plate is riveted to the butt plate.  My question is did only Hawken do this rivet?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2021, 03:40:20 AM »
Thanks Herb, that is what I thought I was seeing.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Herb

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2021, 08:28:45 AM »
The Bridger butt plate and cheek piece.  The toe plate is riveted to the butt plate.  My question is did only Hawken do this rivet?
  It is a repair, the only one I've seen.  Any gunsmith could make this repair, it is not a Hawken feature.  The Hawken copy I show here, I made this rivet repair, too.

Here are photos of the Bridger butt plate and the effect it had on muzzle pitch.

Here is Track's Bridger buttplate showing the difference in the curve.  The TOW is correctly shaped except the corner has to be filed back and the edge thinned a lot.

Six and a half inches pitch at the muzzle.

The Kit Carson Hawken

Only 2 3/4 inch pitch at the muzzle.

Herb