Author Topic: Nitric Acid storage solutions  (Read 15801 times)

SPletcher

Nitric Acid storage solutions
« on: July 10, 2008, 04:30:04 AM »
I got a pint of nitric acid, I think 67-70% concentrate.  I currently have in a glass jar but the acid is slowing eating through the lid.

What can I do to prevent?  Need long time (probably my lifetime) storage solution.  I would rather not make it all into aqua fortis at this time, just as needed and will probably like to play with the dilution as well to see what different shades I can get.

Thanks,

Steve

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
Re: Nitric Acid storage solutions
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 04:34:09 AM »
Steve,
I'd check with my local high school chemistry teacher or look at what is available from a chemical supply house.
I recall acids and other liquids stored in heavy glass bottles with ground glass stoppers.
Like these:  http://www.sciencelab.com/page/S/PVAR/10560/10-411
Larry Luck
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:39:19 AM by L. Luck »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 04:43:57 AM »
I got a pint of nitric acid, I think 67-70% concentrate.  I currently have in a glass jar but the acid is slowing eating through the lid.

What can I do to prevent?  Need long time (probably my lifetime) storage solution.  I would rather not make it all into aqua fortis at this time, just as needed and will probably like to play with the dilution as well to see what different shades I can get.

Thanks,

Steve
You should be able to get a bottle with a screw type lid. My acid came in a glass bottle with a plastic lid. KEEP IT AWAY FROM SUNLIGHT. I had some change from clear to tan in the sun one day while making stain and barrel blue.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 05:16:09 AM »
SPletcher,

Check with the pharmacies in your area.  The ones that do their own mixing will stock various sizes of brown glass bottles.  Tell them you want the acid proof seal in the screw-on cap.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

J Shingler

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 05:32:06 AM »
Mine came in a non clear white heavy plastic bottle with a screw lid. this was in a Styrofoam packing and then in a heavy cardboard box.

TENdriver

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 05:46:24 AM »
I'd also like to get a logical response on this. 

I have the same problem with 70% Nitric stored in styrofoam in my garage.  Brown glass jar sounds good but worried that a child will get the bottle so I've kept it in the original packing.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 07:00:35 AM »
Nitric acid should be kept in a dark brown bottle. A plastic lid is OK if it is the right kind. Pharmacies often have acid bottles. If not you can melt some bees wax and pour some into the lid to make a seal. Acid will not eat wax and if you don't over tighten the lid the wax will seal it forever. I keep my acid bottles in a plastic bucket surrounded with styrofoam . I keep the lid on the bucket. That way if it does leak or freezes it is contained in the plastic bucket.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 09:41:28 AM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Sam Everly

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 07:10:01 AM »
What about a plastic bleach bottle, i would think it would work!

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 09:47:04 AM »
 All plastic is not equal. Some kinds will get very brittle if in contact with acid for a long time. Glass is best or a plastic that is made for acid. Don't ask me what kind of plastic is OK. Acid bottles are hard to find . I buy everyone I see just to have them. They usually have a special easy pour type top.
 Hardware stores sell muriatic acid in plastic bottles and phosphoric also.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 04:43:36 PM »
In chemistry labs the concentrated acids are kept in clear glass bottles with ground glass stoppers.  That makes them easy to open and close.  For storage nitric acid is usually stored in brown glass bottles.

Nitric acid will attack the cap if it is not made of a material that is resistant to attack.  High density polypropylene, aka Nalgene (R), is quite stable under exposure to nitric acid.  You can also coat the cap with paraffin wax as paraffin has a long history of being used to contain strong acids.

Just imagine the difficulty the 18th century gunmaker had trying to transport and store nitric acid!

By the way, nitric acid is quite volatile and will escape a storage vessel if not tightly sealed and corrode everything in sight.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

TENdriver

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 02:13:39 AM »
I didn't realize Nitric acid would freeze.  It was in my garage all winter. 

Do Nagalene bottles come in brown and are the tops suitable for Nitric?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 06:19:15 AM »
What about a plastic bleach bottle, i would think it would work!

If you get bleach and acid mixed you get chlorine gas. Not something you want to risk.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 07:41:54 PM »
I use bleach bottles all the time for storing all kinds of acid (nitric, sulphuric, muriataic) - jusrt rinse well with soap and water and let air dry with the cap off for a couple of days no problems at all - like anything else you just need to take care.....

BTW - chlorine gas is technically/commercially produced by mixing chlorine and ammonia.......
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.