Author Topic: target for 50yd  (Read 6456 times)

Offline yip

target for 50yd
« on: October 02, 2013, 03:12:47 PM »
   we're planning a rifle frolic and planning on a 25 and 50yd paper match I ordered 25yd 7 ring targets from NMLRA for 25yd, put didn't order 50yd targets, what target can I use, its a little to late to order from NMLRA being we shooting in a 10 days.

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: target for 50yd
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 03:40:31 PM »
  we're planning a rifle frolic and planning on a 25 and 50yd paper match I ordered 25yd 7 ring targets from NMLRA for 25yd, put didn't order 50yd targets, what target can I use

If by '7 ring target' you mean the 7 ring black 6 bull, that's usually a 50 yd target (8 ring black 6 bull having the same diameter scoring rings but one fewer ring blacked in for 25 yd shooting).    Even so, you still need to order something with a 10 day delivery.

I'd call NMRLA and ask if they can expedite shipping.   I ordered targets from them online last month and seems like they came in pretty quick.   A phone request explaining your time crunch might get targets shipped out tomorrow morning.

Dixie Gun works has a selection of varmint targets which are printed on a pretty good weight and quality of paper (as opposed to some of their bullseye targets which are on newsprint).  I've seen the standing bear target shot at 50 yds fairly often.  Dixie should be able to meet your 10 day deadline.

And, if push really comes to shove, go down to Wally World and buy several packs of Shoot-n-See stick on targets and some white paper and roll your own.    Good luck, SCL    
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 06:49:55 PM by SCLoyalist »

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 03:57:48 PM »
For online purchase MidwayUSA has a pretty good selection of targets. I have not looked at their whole selection, but in a crunch?

http://ads.midwayusa.com/find?newcategorydimensionid=3916&cm_mmc=ps_google-_-ST_Range_Supplies_Equipment_Beta_G-_-shooting+targets-_-1t1&mkwid=sOihqzLZ9&pcrid=27017831916&pkw=%2Bshooting%20%2Btargets&pmt=b&gclid=CJPpzf6Y-LkCFURp7AodbysA1g

For plain fun targets you can't beat free, you download them and print on regular printing paper:

http://www.targetz.com/index.htm

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline bgf

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 04:26:41 PM »
My club shoots the single bull version of that target (or something similar, none of which I can find at the NMLRA store) at both 25 and 50 yards, plus a larger (self-esteem building) target at both ranges.  Don't hesitate to use the same target for both 25 and 50 yards, as long as your event scores are not intended to compare to others, but the "small" target at 50 yards takes some practice to "master" (i.e., hit regularly) for many of us :)!  Maybe Charlie Burton will see this thread (or you could try PM'ing him) -- he is an NMLRA board member and also knows a thing or two about putting together matches. 

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 04:08:44 AM »
YIP, Log cabin Shop in Ohio has plenty to choose from!!! all marked with suggested ranges to be shot at. quick shipping and only couple hours west of your club. should get in plenty of time for shoot, mk
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 04:09:26 AM by wpalongrifle »
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 04:18:02 PM »
Our club shoots just about any target we can come up with.  We've been known to shoot at just plain ol' 8.5x11 inch white typing paper (5 shots) smallest group wins. :)
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 12:48:34 AM »
How about letting the shooter make his/her own target ?  Give them a piece of paper, plate, notebook whatever--with nothing on it.  Post it on the range at whatever distance you want, and shoot for group size on said blank target. If 5 shot match all 5 must be on paper to score.  Or post a regular target backwards--turn it over to score....CONCENTRATION.  This is a gas.    ...Tom

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 05:06:15 PM »
As long as all shooters have the same target at the same range it shouldn't matter which target is used. Standard B-8 pistol target is fine.

Offline yip

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 01:49:45 PM »
  I took WPALONGRIFLE advise and ordered buffalo targets of log cabin shop. THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR INPUT!

Offline Candle Snuffer

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 03:21:00 AM »
Yip, how did your shoot go?
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Kermit

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 03:49:42 AM »
Lots of free printable targets from various online sources. Here's my Google search just now:

http://www.google.com/search?q=printable+targets+rifle&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 05:08:09 AM »
Hey, it's a rifle frolic.   If you have a lot of 25 yard target, let them shoot it at 50 yards also.........Don

Offline little joe

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 01:03:08 PM »
In your case use whatever you want as what is fair for one is fair for all. My personal openion is if you are trying to develope a following for a club with novice shooters in it use targets where they will get some score. The good shooter will still win and a novice shooter will feel better.

Offline yip

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 01:53:42 PM »
 candle snuffer; thanks for asking, everything went good, we shot 2 hillside courses, of 14 targets, knife and hawk and fire starting. we also shot 25yd for score, with a 6 target 7 ring target, and a five target 7 ring buffalo target at 50yd as a 50/50. everyone seemed to have fun , no complaints.

Offline Candle Snuffer

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 03:01:26 PM »
Glad to hear.  Sounds like it was a lot of fun.   :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 03:02:19 PM by Candle Snuffer »
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days