Author Topic: Interesting Longrifle Posted on Gunbroker  (Read 4666 times)

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
Interesting Longrifle Posted on Gunbroker
« on: October 02, 2013, 04:21:41 PM »
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=368693770

I don't have a stake in this aution and don't know the seller, but would like to share the link and discuss the maker.  As you can see, the barrel is signed and it appears to have been a rather nice rifle in it's day.  It's a 50 cal.

Bill
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Online Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Interesting Longrifle Posted on Gunbroker
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 04:33:11 PM »
Purely guessing at Feder from the signature, but not because I know his work though it does bear some resemblance to the first rifle in the library.  That was a screamer in it's day.  So, do you restore it or do you leave it alone?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 04:34:52 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »
 It looks like there was no shortage of village idiots, turned gunsmith, that took a crack at "Fixing" this old girl. Butchered trigger guard, added set triggers, and various bolts, screws, and nails, all ad up to a lengthy rebuild. She's got good lines, and I like the incised carving on the butt.

Hungry Horse

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 12:57:27 AM »
Horse, I’ll have to defer to your expertise on the work of village idiots, as I’m not familiar with it.

To me however, the work looks exactly as you’d expect to see from time of use repairs to keep an old gun shooting.

If I had some money left I’d buy it!

John
John Robbins

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 01:28:26 AM »
I doubt it's an 1850s rifle. Unusual to see carving that late.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 01:37:08 AM »
Rich:

I think you are right. great lines, and incised carving, make me think this gun is quite a bit older than I first thought. Its hard to know how much of what is on the gun now was part of the original.

Hungry Horse

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 01:49:08 AM »
Brother Sequatchie,
Feder Sr. reference Kindigs "Thoughts". I had one by Jr. that was a nice rifle, believe its Feder 120202-1 in the library. Its late Golden Age but not 1850's late, 1820's would be my guess. Notice the treatment on the cheek piece side towards the but, very Fordney-esque.
Buck
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 02:01:11 AM by Buck »

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 01:49:49 AM »
George Feder;
There has been speculation that there were 2 gunsmiths (father and son) I am not sure, however the earlier rifles were signed in script parallel with this example. The later examples that I have seen are all stamped (on the barrel) G Feder with an abundant amount of engraving similar in fashion to M. Fordneys work. All of the barrels have been stamped either W Pannabecker or J Pannabecker, I don't think this pinpoints an exact location but solid evidence along with several architectural features hint to some Berks Co. exposure. The rifle I mentioned  that I previously owned was stamped W Pannabecker, although it has the exact same architecture as this auction rifle, the patch box had the flavor of Peter Angstadt with the Fordney style engraving on the barrel and side plate. The engraving on the patch box appeared to be of a less heavy and more capable hand. It appears (my opinion only) that this man or these men worked between Angstadt, Fordney, and the Pannabeckers i.e. the Lancaster / Berks Co schools. Its a shame the condition of the rifle, If I had the extra money for the rifle and the money to restore it I would jump at this one and send it right over to you John. I have not seen many examples of this era, meaning the script signed, carved Feders. I am not entirely sold on the father son idea, I think he was a later Golden Age maker, around 1815 to 1820 and on into the percussion era. I remember reading Kindig had 5 of them in his inventory, maybe Henry has some knowledge as to the origins of this maker.
Buck

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 03:25:12 AM »
So which one of you guys got the rifle?

John  ;D
John Robbins