Author Topic: Swaged Buttplates and Wooden Boxes  (Read 5628 times)

Offline Elnathan

Swaged Buttplates and Wooden Boxes
« on: July 10, 2008, 05:56:31 PM »
Those of you who have used swaged buttplates with wooden boxes, are there any tricks to ensuring that there will be no gap between the buttplate and the stock at the bottom of the box lid dovetail? The last one I made would fit nicely around the edges, but has a peened surface on the inside where I would cut for the box lid and would be difficult to file down. I should mention that the one I am making will probably have a long, acanthus leaf tang, so it will be difficult to scrape or file the concave inner surface of the plate where the box lid will go and just leave a little extra wood and inlet straight in.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline t.caster

Re: Swaged Buttplates and Wooden Boxes
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 07:07:09 PM »
Do you mean that little gap inside the mortice where it is inlet for spring clearance? I guess I never worried about it.
Tom C.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 07:16:38 PM »
Actually I was refering to the entire dovetail bottom. It might not be much of a problem - I was just wondering if there was something in particular I should do. Keeping the dovetail shallow (1/8" or so) would probably help.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 07:54:59 PM »
Yah, you don't need to go deeper than 1/8".
Tom C.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 08:32:12 PM »
El, one way to deal with that gap is to fit the buttplate deeply enough so you don't have that 'discovered gap' when you cut the box notch into the plate.

I  s'pose you could solder on  shim of brass to fill the gap.

I have seen originals with a gap right there, so I don't worry about it. It happened to the man long ago, it happens to us.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 10:21:11 PM »
Most peened buttplates don't have that flat, so this is common and acceptable for most folks.  I have always inletted my buttplates all the way to the dome and this avoids the problem, as said above.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 03:27:28 AM »
Okay, thanks.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 05:20:04 AM »
You can (1) not worry about the gap:  common original practice for any buttplate; (2) rasp out the back of the buttstock to a curvature which better fills the buttplate 'hollow':  common original practice and best for very thin buttplates such as swaged brass; (3) just beat buttplate in to fill the gap (my personal favorite) and clean up the dovetail:  common original practice [many buttplates which appear to have been swaged of sheet are very roughly filed - if filed much at all - at the rear shoulder-contact portion].  I have never seen an original gun with pieces soldered, riveted or otherwise attached as infill to rectify this particular issue.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!