Author Topic: Smooth bore ID?  (Read 4018 times)

Offline Steve Collward

Smooth bore ID?
« on: October 11, 2013, 08:01:29 PM »
Below are some photos of a full stock smooth bore. There are no markings on the barrel, but it has not been removed from the stock. The lock is a W. Ketland & Co. (marked on the inside of the lock plate) and has been converted to percussion.  I believe it is stocked in cherry.  Overall length- 53"; barrel length- 37"; length of pull- 14 1/2", and bore is apprx. .58 cal.  Barrel has a front and rear sight. Lastly, note that there is a small cheek piece located in the lower rear portion of the butt.
  This gun has been in upstate NY for many years.  It seems to have a NY or New England look?  A bit crude, but to me, still a nice little gun.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

Offline Majorjoel

Re: Smooth bore ID?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 09:18:55 PM »
Very interesting and unusual smooth bore Steve. I must say that I have never seen a cheek piece positioned in that location. It sure does look like a cherry stocked New England\NY piece. Not built by a master artisan but by a competent stocker. Do you know what type of metal the inlays\side plate escutcheons are made of?  Also, how does it shoulder, and feel with the cheek protruding so far back? 
Joel Hall

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 09:34:56 PM »
Majorjoel:
  The lock bolt inlays are brass. The other inlays (two diamonds and one arrow shape) appear to be pewter.
The ram rod thimbles and entry pipe are brass. The checkering in the wrist remains in good condition.
  With regards to shouldering, it is a little odd to hold that far back, but in doing so, you can still sight down the barrel without any problem. Just feels awkward at first.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 12:01:44 AM »
Looks New England to my eye. Nice 'as found' condition. Thank you for bringing it here.
Dick

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 01:28:15 AM »
 I'm going to stick my neck way out, now theres something new, and say its Native American built. The general shape looks like a chiefs grade North West gun, if you ignore the odd cheekpiece. The trigger guard, looks like the tang, and the bow, are one piece, and the front of the trigger bow just tabs into the trigger plate. Trigger guards of this type are seen on committee of safety muskets, and barn guns. The conversion to percussion is called a Belgian conversion and is seen on percussion conversions for the civil war.

Hungry Horse

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 02:15:15 AM »
  My first impression was that this is a chief's grade trade gun, too. The cheek piece is definitely uncommon to say the least.
                                                 Dan

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 03:49:30 AM »
I initially thought New England gun, but a trade gun may also fit the bill.  Lots of quirks on the gun, especially the cheek piece!  I like the incised diamond behind the tang, like an escutcheon, except there are other inlays on the stock in the same shape.  It may just be the photo, but is the triggerguard and triggerplate the same forged piece?  Great intact original finish for study.  Thanks for sharing,
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 02:56:17 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Below is another photo of the trigger guard and close up of the cheek piece.
With regards to the trigger guard, looks to be made as one piece with the trigger plate. As you can see, the rear is secured by one screw, and the front with the tang bolt.

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 05:23:23 PM »
  Could the cheek piece have been carved into the stock by the gun's owner after the gun was built? It appears in the close up photo that there is some hollowing around the cheek piece.
                  Dan

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 11:16:03 PM »
In reply to Dan'l, I am pretty certain the cheek piece is part of the original stocking/construction of this gun and not added later.  I say this in part as there is uniform aging and oxidation from muzzle to butt.