Author Topic: Table Shoot  (Read 45399 times)

Offline smokinbuck

Table Shoot
« on: October 13, 2013, 02:43:29 AM »
Got back from today's table shoot at Allen Coon's range and have to say that it was one of the best days I have spent at a shoot in a long time. The weather couldn't have been better, the company was outstanding and the competition was very close. Robin and Allen put on a super party and are to be commended. Needless to say I will be back in December, if it's not below zero. If you haven't tried this game, you need to.
Mark
Mark

Offline spiderman852

Re: Table Shoot
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 02:57:35 AM »
Mark, I'll post some pic's later.

Mike

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 05:08:03 AM »
Did any of you guys find Carl's spotting scope? I know you guys beat up on him but he didn't intend to give up the scope, LOL
Thanks

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 05:21:45 AM »
Charlie,
Heard you were at a party, couldn't have been as good as this one, you wwere missed. We didn't know for sure whose scope it was but it is safe with Allen.
Mark
Mark

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 01:38:57 PM »
I had a family reunion to attend.  Wish that I could have been there a gave you guys some competition. LOL
thanks for the info I will let Carl know. Hope to see you in Dec.

Offline spiderman852

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 03:41:43 PM »
Guys, here are some pic's of the Table Shoot. The weather was as close to perfect as you could of asked for. A good time was had by all!

The guys and girl!

Robin and the best "X" of the day!

Mark gettn' it done!

Another "lefty"

Boys from Kentuck' first in line!

Prizes and things for sale table.

1st place sighter and targets (yours truly)

Offline Kermit

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 05:00:43 PM »
A 2.7" string? World class! This table shoot game is catching on. Thanks for the photos.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 05:11:25 PM »
Looks like a very fine group of shooters!  How far were you shooting from?  We may just have to do this at our club.  No one really wants to shoot chunk anymore, as we have a hard time getting up and down.  We could be out of shape...  Can't have anything to do with age I wouldn't think...  :o
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 05:13:01 PM by Candle Snuffer »
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 05:49:20 PM »
That looks like a lot of fun,  sorry I missed it.  Those winning targets are pretty impressive.....who was the winner?.......Don

Lutes

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 06:39:46 PM »
Candle Snuffer the scoring is the same as chunk. Everyone shoots off the tables provided like the ones in the pictures at 30 yards. And you are allowed peep sights. Hey you get to shoot off a table and use peep sights, it couldn't get any better! LOL

Paul Griffith

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 07:41:17 PM »
Just not sure that I'd buy a used car from any of that gang.

Looks good, a fun way to spend the day for sure.

Paul

Old Bob

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 10:09:08 PM »
I'd like to try that sometime. Our guys don't want to try anything new and it's getting to be where I'm just about the only one left that even shoots chunk anymore. Those shoots out in Indiana and Missouri are a bit far for me due to gas prices, but maybe I'll git thar some day. We had a good little old-time chunk shoot at the JJJJ Ranch yesterday. The numbers are down. We only had 9 shooters, but included a new feller who appears to be hooked. Paul, you planning on making the turkey shoot at Shelby's next month?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:10:55 PM by Old Bob »

Lutes

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 10:34:10 PM »
Bob where is the JJJJ range/ shoot located

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 11:20:43 PM »
Looks like fun and ballast's are alowed too.   ;D

Offline spiderman852

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 12:14:42 AM »
Not  braggin' or anything but I won the match this time around. We shoot thirty paces, guns must weigh under 13lbs(includes sights) and NO teflon!

I also used a 45cal UH with open sights, rear notch and front post.

Lotsa FUN!

Mike M.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 02:04:26 AM »
The 4J shoot is located on Rt243 at Deering.
Tell me where you are coming from and maybe
I can be a little more specific.

Bob Roller

Offline Kermit

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 02:06:21 AM »
A procedural question, if I may. Does one shooter run all of his shots and then another comes up for his? Or do you set up 3 or 4 at a time and alternate shooting? You'd need a lot of tables for everyone to shoot at once. I'm just trying to find out how you folks do this before I try to talk some out here into trying this.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Lutes

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 02:46:29 AM »
Bob central Ky

Offline spiderman852

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 03:01:25 AM »
Kermit, we average 15-25 shooters,so far we only have needed 2 tables with a target stand for each table.Three targets per stand. We start by posting your spotter. In this case 6 spotters. Six guys take one warmup shot(I'll call this a relay) taking turns on the table while the other guys are loading. Your next group of spotters and loaded guns  are positioned on the staging rack behind the shooting benches (you might be able to see the staging rack in one of the pic's). The range is shut down while the next group of spotters are posted and the first posted spotters are returned. Start the procedure all over again for the remainder of warmups and go right into scoreable targets. To keep things running smoothly guys need to keep staging their spotters and loading their guns. BUT, a shooter can take a break anytime. A time limit for getting all shots shot should be in place especially if you have a big turnout that day. Like 10AM-3PM

The idea is to have a relaxed get together with friends and have a shootn' match at the same time.

Our next shoot is Dec. 28  I hope to see some new faces.

Feel free to ak questions.  Thanks, Mike

Old Bob

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 03:48:06 AM »
Bob where is the JJJJ range/ shoot located

Like Bob R. said it's on Rt. 243 (Marion Pike) at Deering, Ohio just over 3 1/2 miles east of Coal Grove (US 52). It's Bill Large's old range in the holler behind his shop. They've been holding chunk matches back there for years. In 2009 we started shooting old style matches which consist of 5 rounds for score at 30 yards off hand and then 5 rounds for score off the chunk at 60 yds. Other than the off hand it's the same as any other chunk shoot. In this case we shoot for group twice. We had perfect weather this year. Although the forecast was for partly sunny, it stayed overcast all day. Bill's daughters always come to watch and enjoy seeing shooters continuing what he was a pioneer of in the area. After the shoot we gather in the shop for hotdogs and snacks before we head home. The number was down this year but the competition was stiff. We did have a new feller show up and shoot and I believe that we may have added a new member to the sport. If you're coming from central KY, hit I-64 and head east to the Cannonsburg exit. Go north into Ashland and cross the Ohio River. Turn left onto US 52 and go about a mile and take the Coal Grove exit (Ohio 243). The shoot is held on the 2nd Saturday of October once a year.

Dogshirt

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 04:18:55 AM »
I may have to try something like this at one of our club shoots. Just to make things different!

Lutes

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 04:20:05 AM »
Sounds like a fun shoot. I will try to remember it. Thanks
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 04:36:55 AM by Lutes »

Old Bob

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 04:29:48 AM »
I see that you're from Winchester. That's about an hour and 45 minutes from Coal Grove. Easy drive. GoogleEarth shows Exit 181 on I-64 to be the shortest way to Ashland. That's the exit before Cannonsburg going east. Put it on your calendar. It's a fun little shoot.

Lutes

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 04:38:05 AM »
Will do. Thanks

mmprwarner

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 04:04:20 PM »
Well I finally slowed down enough to check in. Like the other said we had just a perfect day there was a good competitive shooting match, and lots of good fellowship. We did play around with an aggregate payout. This time it seemed to go well. Once again we just couldn't have asked for a better day. Thanks to Allan and Julia for putting up with us, and thanks to Alan Tm performing their duties as chef. You will notice in one of Spiderman's pictures. The grill is in the background, smoking away make and some wonderful hamburgers and hotdogs. I would like to thank those who donated prizes my lovely bride Londean donated somewhere around 10 dozen cookies Mike Majeski donated a Indiana barn wood shooting box. Mark Herman donated a very nice powder measure. Sorry if I forgot anybody but the donated prizes really make the shoots that much better. Thanks all of you who have supported us and we hope to see you on December 28 at the Coon range . One other thing I would like to thank Paul for all his support and advice. He hasn't been able to shoot with as much this year, but he has helped more in the background than most of you can possibly know.