General discussion > Gun Building

wrist, lock panel area

(1/2) > >>

jim m:
this area on my 1st build just don't look right to my inexperienced eye but can't figure out what.

measurements are 7/8 barrel, width at lock panels 1 1/8" and width at wrist 1 1/16"

northmn:
One thing that jumps out at me is the fact that the wrist depth is thicker at the comb than at the tang (or appears to be)  Normally that is tapered down to less than 1 1/2 inch in depth.  While it could be claimed as an individual style it still does not look right to me.   The bottom border of the lock mortise is also thicker in front of the cock than at the tail of the lock.  Also the border is thicker at the top of the tail than at the bottom.  It looks like you had a lock mortise area and inletted the lock rather than form the area around the lock.  Also the rounding of the rear of the lock mortise does not flow such that its center points down the center of the wrist.  No one of them by itself would make it look too off, but the combination is what grabbed you.  These ascetic conventions we use make sense for that reason.

DP

Dennis Glazener:

I don't know if this helps or not. Its the way I do my lock panels. I am working on them now and will thin them a little more before I finish up.
Dennis

rich pierce:
A couple more pictures would help.  Depending on the angle, some things appear to be the case but are illusions.

You want a consistent flowing width to the lock panels above and below; you want the tail of the lock panel molding to center on the wrist; you want the taper from the breech to be part of an arc like on a C-scroll that varies in radius along its length.  That arc should start out straight  (tangential) at the barrel breech and increase some in radius toward the comb on a curved-wristed stock.

J.D.:
Jim, It's hard to tell by the photo, but it appears that the tang is straight and the curve of the wrist begins behind the tang.

The tang needs to be bent to match the contour of the wrist to eliminate that little bit of a hump that appears to be at the back of the tang.

More photos of the side profile of that area would help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version