Author Topic: Another East Tennessee riflebuilder  (Read 3667 times)

Randy1944

Another East Tennessee riflebuilder
« on: October 07, 2009, 03:37:53 AM »
I have another very old muzzleloading rifle and it is marked on the barrel " J SCOTT ".   The seller could only tell me that it came out of the mountains of Blount Co. Tennessee.   Sure would appreciate any help.  I will try to post pictures tomorrow.  Thanks again   Randy1944

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Another East Tennessee riflebuilder
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 10:33:43 PM »
Randy,
I'll check Jerry Noble's books this evening and see if there is a mention of J. Scott.  Looking forward to seeing a Blount Co. gun
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:34:45 PM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 11:37:17 PM »
Randy-
Are these recent acquisitions or have you been collecting for a while?

Bill
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Randy1944

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 11:57:49 PM »
I am back with another story.  I can get my pictures on to Photobucket, but I am too dumb to get them to this site.  They are under my name:  Randy1944 and listed as Muzzleloaders No. 4 and No. 8.  I mispoke about the J Scott  - itis on the lock and not the barrel.  It has no other markings on it.  It is the No. 8 rifle.  The No.4 pictures are of another rifle that I have.  It is marked on the barrel :  A  J  -  the letters are fancy and fluid and flowing compared to the plain letters.  No. 4 is a walnut fullstock, .40 caliber , all iron hardware, no patchbox.  I purchased it in Sevierville, Tn.  I realize that I am raising some eyebrows with my different guns.  A little history:  I began collecting guns (mostly pre-64 Winchesters and the old mountain guns) with great gusto in the late 1960's up until the mid 1970's.  Later I sold many of my Winchesters but kept all my muzzleloaders.  I think I have outlived all the friends I made back then.  I grew up in Gatlinburg, Tn.  I am now retired and have a renewed interest in my guns and their historys.  The Internet is a great tool that I did not have back when I was collecting my guns.  Sorry to be so long winded, but I wanted people to understand my situtation.   Regards,   Randy1944

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 01:13:22 AM »
Randy,
I think I have them all and have them grouped correctly.  Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures and stories.  Now I can get back to studying whats there. 
Ken

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 01:15:46 AM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 05:27:59 AM »
Randy,
Thanks for sharing your rifles with us!  I sure appreciate you taking the time to photograph them.

Bill
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

eagle24

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 10:14:25 PM »
Very interesting rifle!  Especially the lock panels.  Thank you for sharing pictures here?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 02:46:37 AM »
Hello, anybody save pics of this rifle?  Thanks

Hold to the Wind