Author Topic: Stock cleaning  (Read 7269 times)

jamesthomas

Stock cleaning
« on: October 19, 2013, 05:04:32 PM »
 So I've searched for this but came up empty. What do you guys recommend for cleaning your stock of your rifle from dirt, and hand sweat etc?, and bring back the shine and curl? Mine has gotten kinda dark and dull over the years.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Stock cleaning
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 05:55:26 PM »
So I've searched for this but came up empty. What do you guys recommend for cleaning your stock of your rifle from dirt, and hand sweat etc?, and bring back the shine and curl? Mine has gotten kinda dark and dull over the years.

There are many variables....
What was it originally finished with?
Next would be has there been any maintenance of the finish?
If its been stained with something that is not stable and fades in sunlight then getting the curl back may require stripping and restaining and refinishing.
It if was stained with an excessively acid stain it may have darkened as a result of the acid continuing to oxidize the wood.
If this is the case and the rifle is not carved it may be possible to carefully wet sand with BLO and 600-1200 grit wet or dry paper to lighten the color and restore the curl then add some finish for a top coat. If the finish is acid neutralized and can penetrate this may help keep the stock from further darkening.
If its carved then the sanding must be even more careful to protect the caving and produce a uniform color.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 06:04:06 PM »
http://www.scottsliquidgold.com/files/msds/MSDS%20Long%20Pourables.pdf

http://www.scottsliquidgold.com/files/msds/WOOD%20WASH%20READY%20TO%20USE%20ENGLISH.pdf

http://www.scottsliquidgold.com/files/msds/SLG%20DUST%20N%20GO%20MSDS%2003%2011%2004.pdf

Buying stuff meant for the mass market requires noting what is in them.
It appears that the first product is simply over priced mineral spirits paint thinner.
Which is OK. But I would use real Turpentine instead.
A rag wet with linseed oil diluted with turp may would likely be the best non-abrasive cleaner. The advantage to turp and linseed is that they actually add something to finish and it will still remove dirt and grime.
Petroleum distillate is just petroleum distillate it may remove more than is wanted.

Dan

jamesthomas

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 06:23:23 PM »
 The stock is red maple and is done with Aqua-fortis and finished with B.C. Tru-Oil.  And I've haven't used anything on it yet.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 06:27:31 PM »
oh no, the paTEENa!  (patina).   ;D 

sorry, that's all i got.
Hold to the Wind

Offline EC121

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 06:33:17 PM »
I use the Tru-oil stock wax.  Never has hurt the finish of my rifles.  It is mostly carnuba wax with a solvent.  Never have cleaned a stock.  Just waxed them.  A Tru-oil finish is probably tough enough to  try about any furniture polish.
Brice Stultz

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 06:40:46 PM »
PaTEENa on Civil War revolvers is called R_U_S_T by most of us.

Bob Roller

jamesthomas

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 01:30:37 AM »
 All I asked was ONE simple question and ya'll start arguing about MSDS (offensive language deleted by moderator).  So far the only one who as answered my question is EC121 and Neechi. If  you can't answer the question (offensive personal attack deleted by moderator).   And BTW it hasn't been 10 years since I've cleaned my rifle. Use the PT section if you disagree with one another.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:05:17 PM by rich pierce »

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 02:33:39 AM »
Your "simple " question  is actually not that simple.  A lot depends on what the original finish was. Also, how the gun is used and stored plays a role. My regimen is to go over my most used guns once a year, and apply a couple drops of finish with my finger tips, going slowly and spreading as thin as possible.  The rest of the year they get rubbed down with the same oil I use on the barrel after a cleaning.
Please note that I don't consider "MSDS" info to be "$#@*"  I never could figure out why folks
feel they have some divine right to an answer they like whenever they have a question.
I can't see how that last post is going to trigger a stampede to the keyboards  ::)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 03:41:13 AM »
PaTEENa on Civil War revolvers is called R_U_S_T by most of us.

Bob Roller
yeah, but some of us kids don't actually remember the War of Northern Aggression.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:41:49 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 03:01:45 PM »
  James  My wife makes home make soap and she uses Jojoba oil whjch is actually a wax ,it puts a good sheen on a stock and iron parts.Its sure high priced though.Curt

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 03:48:10 PM »
James,
When I get one that is particularly grundgy, especially originals, I wipe them down lightly with D & L hand cleaner. It takes off the dirt, leaves what finish may be under the dirt and puts a little oil back into the dried wood.
Mark
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 05:50:15 PM by smokinbuck »
Mark

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 12:23:26 AM »
Kramer's Antique Improver. Nothing else comes close.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 04:00:43 AM »
Jamese

Wow, for someone who's asking advice, ya kinda got your back up in the air in a hurry.  Most folks are trying to answer your question, but sometimes a little more info is needed.
What is good for one type of finish, may not be good for another. It's kinda like asking.....how much does a car cost. 
And remember, a lot of the responders are just as new as you, and you may get some good, and not so good answers.
That being said, I can only answer, just like the rest that have responded, what I use.
After cleaning, I wipe the whole thing down with Lemon Pledge wipes.  Sacrilege!!!!
Good luck, and take a pill . You'll live longer.
In His grip,

Dane

jamesthomas

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 01:55:05 AM »
 Sorry, it was a bad day from the start. I apologize to everybody for flying off at the handle. I've given it a wipe down with some B.C.  Gun Stock wax and it help quite a bit. I'll give the other ideas a try later.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 01:57:13 AM by james e »

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »
All I asked was ONE simple question and ya'll start arguing about MSDS (offensive language deleted by moderator)!!! So far the only one who as answered my question is EC121 and Neechi. If  you can't answer the question (offensive language deleted by moderator).  And BTW it hasn't been 10 years since I've cleaned my rifle. Use the PT section if you disagree with one another.

I was simply trying to point out that some of the stuff people use is little more than common paint thinner. Tru-oil for example, is mostly paint thinner, Stoddard Solvent.
Its America. People can and do put anything they like on a gunstock and it shows in many cases.

But its sometimes nice to find out whats REALLY in some concoction rather than just believing the hype on the front label.

You will note I gave an way to clean a stock with a minimum of solvent fumes and it will work with no damage to the existing finish or the wood nor will it wax over the grundge or build up if its wiped off with a cotton cloth.  But since its not on the shelf at wally world labled as a cleaner or polish (or stock finish) it probably won't work.

Dan
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:03:38 PM by rich pierce »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 07:00:39 PM »

Kramer's Antique Improver. Nothing else comes close.    Absolutely!!  Does a wonderful job of cleaning and protecting.  personally I would use it on an original, but that would be viewed as sacrilege.. it works on other antiques????
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 10:47:09 PM »
Don't know how it stacks up with all the other stuff but I periodically wax the stocks with Johnson Paste Wax.  After every use I wipe everything down with either a silicon cloth or a cloth dampened with, well, we better not go there.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.