Author Topic: Comparison of Liogier rasp #9 and Nicholson #49  (Read 3536 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Comparison of Liogier rasp #9 and Nicholson #49
« on: October 20, 2013, 04:33:31 PM »
I got a 10"Liogier hand made rasp , stiching #9 lefthanded.  Nice rasp. Tried it out on some maple and oak.

The liogier cut quickly, but my #49 Nicholson cuts just as quick. The Liogier gave a smoother suface that would need very little sanding. Can't say the lefthanded sticthing made any difference.
The Liogier is bigger than Nichcolson the round side is more curved. Also the teeth go all the way to the edge on the Liogier.

I think the Liogier performs a bit better than Nicholson, but is alot more expensive.  All in all I feel Nicholson rasps give you more for the money. That being said, I'll be ordering an 8" half round rasp, stiching 7 from Lioginer. Can't get those shapes from Nicholson.

Best regards
Rolf

« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 03:10:20 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Comparison of Liogier rasp #9 and Nicholson #49
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 05:12:58 PM »
Thanks for the report.  Removal rate seems like a bad data point with the stitch difference apparent in the photos.

I'm getting by with a farriers rasp this time, but a Liogier (or two) is on the list of tools my shop _needs_.  ;)
Hold to the Wind

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 05:23:42 PM »
It will be interesting to hear how they hold up.  Teeth all the way to the edge is a big plus.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Rolf

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 05:28:55 PM »
Thanks for the report.  Removal rate seems like a bad data point with the stitch difference apparent in the photos.

I'm getting by with a farriers rasp this time, but a Liogier (or two) is on the list of tools my shop _needs_.  ;)

True, the Liogier stiching # 7  should have been compared to a nicholson # 50 to get the same coarsness. But I don't have a #50.  So I figure if the Liogier #7 cut as fast as a coarser # 49 Nicholson, it's a bit better.

Best regards
ROlf
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 05:30:25 PM by Rolf »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 05:57:36 PM »
It will be interesting to hear how they hold up.  Teeth all the way to the edge is a big plus.
Liogier does offer a higher-durability option for guys who wear out the regular stuff.  

Rolf, i wasn't nit-picking, just "observin' out loud".  thanks
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 05:57:51 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 08:48:40 PM »
Hi Rolf,

Thanks for the comparison.  Where was your #49 Nicholson made, USA or Brazil?  From the picture, it looks like USA made.  Thanks.

-Rob
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Rolf

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 08:57:16 PM »
Hi Rolf,

Thanks for the comparison.  Where was your #49 Nicholson made, USA or Brazil?  From the picture, it looks like USA made.  Thanks.

-Rob

It is stamped "made in Brazil". Never had the chance to try an american made Nicholson rasp. All the Nicholson rasps sold over here are from Brazil.

Best regards
Rolf