Author Topic: Router ramrod hole, what to do?  (Read 4188 times)

oldarcher

Router ramrod hole, what to do?
« on: October 22, 2013, 04:30:14 AM »
A few years ago I purchased a beautiful tiger stripe 1/2 stock blank which I made into a very nice Hawken. With the tiger stripe blank I also received a birdseye semi formed 1/2 stock that had the barrel channel cut and the ramrod channel routed, not drilled. I have always used blanks for stocks and drilled the ramrod hole after I routed the barrel channel. I really don't know much about building rifles from precarves that have the ramrod hole routed. Certainly I can easily finish the stock, my question is: how do I deal with an open channel for the ramrod, do I wrap the ramrod in wax paper and Acura Glass the ramrod "trench" closed, or what? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Router ramrod hole, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 04:57:38 AM »
Some builders inlay a floor patch over the channel. Glue it in, re-inlet any barrel that you need to, and touch up the hole with a re-drilling, and you're good to go.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 06:12:34 AM »
I have a few GRRW Hawkens that are near 40 years old that were made with the ramrod hole routed into the forestock.  After all this time, I see no ill effects in the shape of the forearm or the fit of the barrel in the barrel channel due to the lack of web over the ramrod hole.  You can do the floor patch as Acer suggests for cosmetic purposes or you can leave it open and not worry about it.

I believe James Turpin's video "Building Muzzle-Loaders II - Percussion Edition" has a demonstration of the floor patch that Acer mentioned.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 05:34:15 AM by Mtn Meek »
Phil Meek

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 02:52:39 PM »
As Tom suggested put a patch in place that would add stability to the stock. I would have my RR done and in place and then then push the patch right down to the RR . 

I have done this on several rifles after routing out the RR groove in the  forestock. One thing that does for me is allow me to have the RR exactly where I want it.  I wish I were a better RR hole driller but when an 1/8 or even  1/16 matters I will route out a groove and patch it over. 

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 03:33:55 PM »
Dave Rase can drill the rr hole to within .001 of requested location.  :D

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 06:13:30 PM »
Hobby shops have telescoping brass tubing.  You can get 3' lengths.  The size with a 3/8" ID was just right.   I once glassed a tube inside the ramrod trench.  I soldered a little plug over the lock side end to prevent the glass from getting in there

Online Gaeckle

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 07:05:04 PM »
Many old originals had their ramrod channels done that way.....build the gun

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 07:58:06 PM »
.....build the gun
Agreed.  That channel doesn't hurt a thing.  Most of the naysayers are nitpickers.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 09:08:45 PM »
I did some restoration work on a iron mounted Alabama half stock that was dated 1858 that had a routed ram rod hole and the forstock was in great shape, much better than the lock area which required a good bit of restoration to make that area sound again.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

oldarcher

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 01:51:29 PM »
Thanks to all. I think that I will just build the rifle and worry about the ramrod hole only if it seems to be a problem when the rifle is built...