Author Topic: Dickert rifle question  (Read 6827 times)

greymount

Dickert rifle question
« on: January 15, 2009, 12:03:52 AM »
I am in the process of building a Dickert rifle and have a question on brass hardware.  Would the Bivins trigger guard be appropriate for this rifle?  I an planning on using the Davis double set triggers.  The Bivins trigger guard looks similar to a Dickert, but I am not sure if it would be too large for my Dickert pre-carved stock.  If this guard is not appropriate where can I find the correct hardware.   

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: Dickert rifle question
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 12:41:06 AM »
A really good source for soft brass castings is Reaves Goehring (717) 684-2022.  Also might want to check with Dave Keck (Knob Mountain Muzzleloading) (570) 759-2053, he also has some very nice brass castings, especially ram rod pipes, not sure about a Dickert trigger guard though.  I'm thinking the Bivins would "work", but might not be an absolute true representation of a Dickert TG.  Just depends on what you want.  Hope that helps...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 01:55:50 AM »
These are all I have available right now, but here's a few pics of a 1790/1800ish Dickert trigger guard as example.

John
John Robbins

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 08:29:46 AM »
The Bivins T.G. is a contemporary creation and doesn't , in my opinion , resemble a Dickert. Jack Brooks sells an exact copy of a Dickert T.G. circa 1780. The original had a single trigger but there's plenty of room for a set.

Also Drew Hedgecock sells a T.G. of a Dickert from the 1770's.  TOW sells this as TG-K-1-B. Very large. On my website, 1780 Dickert uses this heavily modified.

Reeves Goering has no T.G.'s by Dickert for sets. However, he has one by John Brooks that with some modification, would be a good Dickert 1790's -1800. No. 43.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 05:28:29 PM »
    You might want to obtain a copy of the July/August issue of Muzzleloader magazine.  Peter Alexander presents a detailed examination of a Dickert and a Beck rifle.  He gives a lot of information useful to anyone re-creating one of these rifles.   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline t.caster

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 05:47:07 PM »
Judge for yourself, here is the Bivins TG (from TOW) on an early Dickert. I believe it is a generic Lancaster Co. guard, so why wouldn't it work? You need a long one for dbl. set triggers.
Some guys won't buy anything from TOW, but they have never wronged me.

Tom C.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 12:50:44 AM »
I used the large "Bivins" guard to do this one (suitably modified).  It was the ONLY thing I could find that was anywhere near big enough to do this style guard.

When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 08:41:24 AM »
The Hedgecock casting is a dead on copy and extremely huge. I filed a knob on the forward part of the bow. It's also nice yellow brass that will match the patchbox brass.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 08:02:55 AM »
Recap. Dru Hedgecock has castings that are right on for a 1770's Dickert. See Colonial Longrifles No. 48.  They are copied from this rifle.These are sold by TOW and others.

Jack Brooks has documentary parts for a 1780 Dickert. The B.P. is of the same scale, over 5 in. high and about 2 1/8+ wide. The T.G. has\d a single trigger but is long enough for any set. These are expensive at $45 each because they are a small run.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 09:44:38 PM »
I used Goehring's "the Blob" for this buttplate.  It's like 2 1/4" wide.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."