Author Topic: Defibaugh Bench & Rifling  (Read 5515 times)

Offline dtiques

• Starting Member
  • 4Th Infantry, 1966 & 67, Pleiku, Dakto
Defibaugh Bench & Rifling
« on: November 07, 2013, 11:47:32 PM »
I thought I would share this slideshow with the forum members. I obtained the bench, rifler and equipment from the Defibaugh family in Bedford this summer. Willaim Defibaugh, the family historian, said that the bench and rifler were found in Everett, Pa. in the early 1970s and that the bench was used by William Sr. and later his sons. The bench is pictured on P. 31 of "Bedford County Gunsmiths and Gunmakers" by James and Vaughn Whisker. The bench including the base is of dovetailed and mortise and tenon construction. According to William, who is in his eighties and of sound mind, the rifler was used by David and also the Border family of gunsmiths.

The wood-stock pattern is true to the Defibaugh style and you can still see traces of the straight saw marks. The picture is of William Sr's sons, David on the left and Milton. Milton carved canes and I show an example of his work to the right of the picture. The wrought iron dogs are especially nice.

http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/dtiques/slideshow/Defibaugh%20Bench%20and%20rifilig

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Defibaugh Bench & Rifling
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 04:05:41 AM »
   Thanks for posting these photos.  The bench and vice look very similar to the one I got at auction near Mechanicsburg this summer.  That's a fantastic piece of history.  Some of the best Bedford rifles were made on that bench.  Congratulations, I'm still amazed you were able to get that from the
family. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline dtiques

• Starting Member
  • 4Th Infantry, 1966 & 67, Pleiku, Dakto
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 07:30:50 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments. The family had no interest in the bench. Surprised that I didn't receive more comments.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 02:02:08 PM »
Really enjoyed the pictures, thanks!!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 03:41:02 PM »
    The bench is very well constructed and looks like it could withstand a volume of production.  Extra cool to get an actual barrel in process with it.  I wonder if they might have been rifling barrels for more gunsmiths than we know of?  I note the legs and stringers are dovetailed.  What is the purpose of the block of wood
extended at the end of the bench below the handle that you push the rod with?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Online lexington1

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 05:32:03 PM »
Now that is really neat! Thanks for sharing  :)

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
Thank you for posting.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 06:12:51 PM »
Thanks for the photos.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 09:47:59 PM »
 Thanks for the link, I really like the looks of that pattern.

Tim C.

Offline Dietle

• Pennsyltucky native
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 06:09:10 AM »
Would you allow me to use your photos of the Defibaugh stuff on my free Bedford and Somerset gunsmith web project? I have a good bit of biographical information on the Defibaugh gunsmiths, but I have no photographs of their products, tools, family members, etc. I have posted biographical information on Daniel, Sr.; William, David, Milton, Lawrence, Wesley, Daniel L., and James C. The links to these biographies are on my index page https://korns.org/gunsmiths/gunsmith-index.html

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 02:48:41 PM »
Nice photos of the bench. I'm guessing that it is rare to find one of these.

The photo of the M1911 slide with Union Switch and Signal markings caught my eye. U.S. & S. .45's are scarce if I remember correctly. My Mom worked there for a while during WW II wiring control panels for the B17. 
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline cable

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 12:15:03 AM »
so neat and interesting to see that bench and its construction.... very well made and original work

i really enjoy analyzing early furniture and other pieces.

thank you  for a real treat.

Offline acorn20

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2021, 01:48:45 AM »
The William Defibaugh that wrote the letter pictured was a Professional Engineer in the Bedford, PA area.  I had contact with him in the late nineties as he was involved in a church renovation in the Carlisle, PA area.  As I spoke to him, I realized that he had the same name as the gunmaker that lived and had his shop not two miles from my grandfather's birthplace.  He said he was related and we had quite an interesting conversation. 

There is a mistake in the letter he wrote.  The gentlemen's name in McConnellsburg was not Charles Bender.  It was Clarence Bender!  He was a close family friend and the individual that got me interested in muzzleloading rifles in 1972; when I was the ripe ole age of 18.  Clarence Bender attended shoots all over Pennsylvania and the national matches in Friendship.  He collected muzzleloading rifles but his passion was heavy, bench rifles.  Some of his bench guns had barrels weighing well over 30 pounds.  His favorite, named Lucifer, probably weighed about 40 pounds.
Dan Akers