Author Topic: Hawken triggerguard and buttplate  (Read 7037 times)

eddillon

Hawken triggerguard and buttplate
« on: November 08, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
Does anyone know if the triggerguard and buttplate like those shown on the back dust jacket of Baird's "Hawken Rifles The mountain Man's Choice are available?  The guard is rounder and slimmer than what I have seen at TOW and other sources.  Buttplate seems to have more pronounced crescent than what is in TOW and other sources.  I am planning a full stock J&S.  Were any originals made in walnut or were they all maple?  I am planning to build a 1" .58 with a Rice bbl. ordered today from Jason
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 12:10:35 AM by eddillon »

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
Re: Hawken triggerguard and buttplate
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 01:00:23 AM »
Ed if you really want to do it "right" for a J & S Hawken I'd have them made up by one of the guys who forge this type such as Mark Tornichio (the only one I can think off the top of my head and who should be able to make them exactly as pictured) - the early trigger guards were made in the same fashion as the So Mtn/Tn Rifle (two pieces brazed together) and the butt plate is made in the same fashion - the return and actual butt plate were two separate sections riveted and then brazed together
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 01:00:44 AM by Chuck Burrows »
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 03:35:30 AM »
Tom Dawson made the butt plates from black iron pipe
and the trigger guards were forged from round bars,
probably 1018 cold rolled..
I still have a few plates left marked J&S Hawken and
matching hammers if anyone is interested.

Bob Roller

eddillon

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 06:47:50 PM »
Bob,
Thanks for letting me know about Tom Dawson.  I guess that shows that I am relatively new to the building passion.  Still hoping to find the appropriate parts and learn if there were walnut full stock Hawkens.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 07:53:09 PM »
Ed, Hawken rifles are made from both Black Walnut and maple.  Either is authentic and appropriate.
If castings are what you seek, and Chuck's advice is tack on, Don Stith has great hardware.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 07:54:18 PM »
Thanks for the referal. Ed, I just left you a personal message, but I will post it here also. I can not take on any more work at the moment.  I finally sold my house and moved August 1. I am way behind on work because of the move. I am planning on moving to a perment location next weekend. Finally found a house to buy, which will put me even futher behind. My wife is pregnant so I will be the one doing the heavy lifting with help from my father in-law. I don't know when I will get completely caught up. Mark Elliott has been offering forged iron mounts. You might consider asking him.
Sorry,
Marc

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 08:39:32 PM »
 What about the Hawkens shop? I think they are up in the Pacific Northwest some ware. They should have something for you.

Hungry Horse

eddillon

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 10:07:11 PM »
Hawken Shop doesn't have the style I need.  Looks like Don Stith is the answer.   :)

Offline rsells

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 10:24:07 PM »
I use Don Stith's hardware on the Hawken rifles I build.  He has his act together and the quality has been good for me.
                                                                                Roger Sells

eddillon

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 03:04:34 AM »
Thanks for the referal. Ed, I just left you a personal message, but I will post it here also. I can not take on any more work at the moment.  I finally sold my house and moved August 1. I am way behind on work because of the move. I am planning on moving to a perment location next weekend. Finally found a house to buy, which will put me even futher behind. My wife is pregnant so I will be the one doing the heavy lifting with help from my father in-law. I don't know when I will get completely caught up. Mark Elliott has been offering forged iron mounts. You might consider asking him.
Sorry,
Marc
Marc,
I am pleased to see that the younger generation (you are young enough to have a pregnant wife) are carrying on the long rifle building tradition.  Seems that too many of us are old guys.  I have been worried that the tradition will fade into oblivion.  I keep hoping that more young people will get involved.  I have convinced my talented son to do engraving but he has yet to be bitten by the building bug.

eddillon

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 03:30:07 AM »
Don Stith doesn't have any.  Mark Elliott, if you can, please let me know if you can supplyvthis style.

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 06:14:02 PM »
I owe an apology to EDDIllon. There are two people by this name. This fellow is not the one I have a bone to pick with. Sorry Ed
Don

eddillon

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 06:29:42 PM »
Thanks, Don.  Apology accepted publicly and privately.  Honest mistake. :)

eddillon

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 06:57:21 PM »
To avoid mistaken identity, should I change my user ID?  Would like to see a show of hands.  ;)  Moderator, move if necessary but I am just trying to avoid some confusion that apparently exists.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:40:53 PM by eddillon »

whetrock

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 10:06:29 PM »
Ed,
It's easy to change. I changed mine a while back when I noticed a guy on another forum using the same nickname. So I changed mine and added my initials.

All you need to change is the display name. Profile, Account Related Settings, Name…
You don't have to change your account log-on name. The two don't have to be the same.

The nice thing is that if you change the display name, then all your old post immediately update so as to use the new name.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:28:22 PM by Whetrock (PLB) »

eddillon

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 10:11:42 PM »
Thanks whetrock,
I was hoping that everything carried over to the new name.

eddillon

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 10:15:53 PM »
User ID changed.  Hope that clears up confusion and possible mistaken ID.   ;D

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 12:07:29 AM »
User ID changed.  Hope that clears up confusion and possible mistaken ID.   ;D
Your poll numbers just went up 20 percentage points. ;)

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 12:26:36 AM »
Jeeze. I was hoping aka california eddillion got busted for dirty tricks. Oh well, maybe the other Ed Dillion has learned a valuable lesson .

BTW, I'm not the blues man known as KebMo so don't hate me for making good music.