Author Topic: Thin barrel question?  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Thin barrel question?
« on: November 13, 2013, 08:41:51 PM »
I am considering a 15/16" swamped barrel in .40 cal  about 40 inches long.  Since the waist will be .605" that leaves the walls at 1/10" thickness in the waist area which seems very thin for a rifle.  Clearly not enough thickness to accommodate dovetail for the underlug so that will have to be soldered which is easy enough.  But how well do barrels with such thin walls perform?  The lack of thicker walls would seem to indicate greater amplitude of the harmonic vibrations.  What is your EXPERIENCE with such barrel thicknesses and accuracy?  Is there any concern with bending these barrels through normal use? 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Thin barrel question?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 09:03:38 PM »
Jerry, I have two .40's with swamped bbls.  The first has a Getz "A" weight 42"  bbl.  It is 15/16" at the breech and .705" in the waist.  All three of the underlugs are dovetailed .030" deep.  The one at the muzzle is 3 3/4" back from the end, while the waist is 6 - 10" back from the muzzle, so there's plenty of steel there for a dovetail.  The other is a Rice "B" weight 44" bbl. and it is thicker yet.  Both of these rifles are wonderfully accurate and I have had no issues with warping or bending.  Are you sure of the waist measurement on your bbl?  Seems a little light??
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.