Author Topic: Range rod and C02 ball discharger  (Read 8642 times)

Offline rjpalmer

Range rod and C02 ball discharger
« on: November 14, 2013, 07:46:58 AM »
Could anyone offer suggestions on where to purchase a single range rod suitable for a  .36 and a .40 caliber rifle with 39 inch barrels. Also, I would like to purchase a C02 ball discharger for a TVM flintlock and a Hatfield percussion rifle.  In my area of SW PA traditional  black powder supplies are mostly non existant.  I have searched several on line suppliers but would appreciate the experiences and recommendations of those who post here. I  am not really interested in being historically correct. My main concern is safety, especially for removing a loaded ball.
Thanks .

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Range rod and C02 ball discharger
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 08:07:10 AM »
RJ,
The Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio the Cain's Outdoors in Williamstown, WV and Track of the wolf all have what you need. I would reccomend a 5/16" rod, for both .36 & .40, with a muzzle protector and jag with the appropriate thread. The discharger will likley come with a tip for "either" percussion or flint, not both. Don't forget to order whichever it does not have.
mark
Mark

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 02:26:39 PM »
Dixons in Kempton, PA is another option.

Centershot

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 10:13:20 PM »
 The CO2 ball discharger is a great tool. I think all ranges that have a reasonably large number of muzzleloader shooters should have one, just so you don't have somebody behind the firing line monkeying around with a loaded gun. If you aren't part of such a club, by all means get yourself one.
 I feel range rods teach shooters bad habits, that can result in accidents. Shooters find themselves loading with one long fast stroke of the metal, of fiber, rod, that is dangerous when you switch to a wooden rod, because they can break and go through your hand. They teach shooters to holding the rod on the very end, that usually has some sort of knob on it, which with a wooden rod is dangerous, for the reasons previously stated. The single stroke loading can also generate extreme heat that might cause a discharge.
 Now having said all that, I think a range rod is great for pulling a load with a ball worm, and for final cleaning before you store the gun.

Hungry Horse

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 05:37:01 PM »
Could anyone offer suggestions on where to purchase a single range rod suitable for a  .36 and a .40 caliber rifle with 39 inch barrels...
I buy a 48"x5/16" steel rod at the hardware store, drill/tap one end, fix antique metal doorknob on the other end, and use brass flare fitting in the middle as a crown protector. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 08:21:06 PM »
I ordered my discharger from Cabelas.    I make my range rods from 5/16" x 48" weldable steel rod from Lowes.    I use a door knob or large file handle as the handle on the rod.  I drill and tap one end in a lathe. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 09:26:30 PM »
Taylor and I did similar to Wade and Mark- only with 5/16" stainless rod.  I epoxied an 8" X 1" piece of birch branch onto mine as a handle- works perfectly as a cleaning rod for my 35" bl. Sharps with aperture sights, so the handle stops at the butt plate.  It would do for loading & cleaning a ML  rifle with up to 46" bl. Yes - I use a breech protector for the Sharps and made muzzle protectors for it as well, for ML use (.45 longrifle).  I have a shorter 38" stainless 3/8" rod that I sometimes use as a range rod for the shorter barreled guns when testing loads. Saves removing the rifle's rod for loading and replacing it for the shot.
I also have a commercial 40", plastic coated 1/4" diameter Kleen-Bore cleaning rod that I use for cleaning and sometimes loading my .32. It's especially nice due to being spring steel but VERY stiff with no flexing while loading or cleaning. Some rods are too soft. A .35 cal. Dewy plastic coated cleaning rod is also good & we used it for lapping a .40 cal. that had fine pits one end to the other from using boiling hot water for cleaning. The Dewey rod is very springy and stiff - unlike their .17 cal rods which are $35.00 worth of garbage.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Vomitus

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 12:54:18 AM »
 I just used cold rolled 3/8ths rod for a 50 and a 1/2" barrel. Couldn't find stainless that long.

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 04:47:32 PM »
My friend make a ball discharger using a fire extinguisher he replaced the nozzle with a greasegun hose and tip. He took off the female part of the tip ,that fits over the zerk,and has just the hose and small diameter tapered tip to put up to the nipple or touchhole.It works very well. Hope I explained this so you understand what I said.

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 09:36:18 PM »
Cabelas has their co2 discharger and cartridges on sale.
Gene

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 03:34:55 AM »
My friend make a ball discharger using a fire extinguisher he replaced the nozzle with a greasegun hose and tip. He took off the female part of the tip ,that fits over the zerk,and has just the hose and small diameter tapered tip to put up to the nipple or touchhole.It works very well. Hope I explained this so you understand what I said.

I've seen helium tanks used to fill balloons converted to this use as well as to air up tires.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 03:18:14 PM »
I bought a couple of those CO2 dischargers and converted one over to regular air hose plumbing so I dont have to use CO2 when I cant find a cartridge. I set the line presure to 120 and it works for all but the larger volume bores such as long barrel 58s etc.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 05:39:17 PM »
I just ordered a discharger from Cabela's. If you want one they are on sale now for $29 and they come with both tips and a carry bag.

dagner

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 12:51:35 PM »
 all our ranges and a couple of the guys made real nice heavy duty ball dischargers out of small co2 /oxygen tanks.blows the most stuborn balls out due to higher  pressure /air volune 
dag

Black Jack

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 05:34:27 PM »
I just ordered a discharger from Cabela's. If you want one they are on sale now for $29 and they come with both tips and a carry bag.
I just ordered one with extra CO2 cylinders. Thanks for the tip!

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 05:51:38 PM »
I just ordered one with extra CO2 cylinders. Thanks for the tip!
I ordered one also.  Will be delivered on Dec 3rd.  That is fast shipping.   I got the 3 extra Co2 cartriages as well.  No shipping charges and no taxes.  A good deal.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 05:53:08 PM by iloco »
iloco