General discussion > Gun Building

French Pistol Finished

(1/6) > >>

E.vonAschwege:
So I suppose this doesn't technically qualify as American, nor as a Longrifle, but here goes. 

Here's my latest project, a French pistol inspired by an original I own circa 1760-1780.  The original by Pierre Coignet has a smaller lock and a huge buttcap which makes for very interesting lines.  Mine is more of an interpretation than a direct copy.   Original: http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/HelmsDown/Original%20French%20Flintlock/

The barrel is a .56 smoothbore made by Ken Netting (I got it from an ALR member earlier in the year).  8" long, 1" at the breech, tapering to a hair under 11/16", so it's pretty thin barrel wall.  Lock is a Chambers small queen anne cosmetically altered to look a bit more French.  The sideplate is similar to one I saw on AmbroseAntiques, somewhat Dutch in style.  The triggerguard is a close copy of the one on my original, made out of a wax cas fowler guard from Track.  Ramrod pipes are direct copies of the original as well, and the ramrod is offset to clear the mainspring.  The carving around the tang is similar to the original, with a lot of the details interpreted from earlier French and Dutch pistols.  The "draped" forestock molding is more reminiscent of late 17th and early 18th century Dutch and German arms, but I felt it added a neat detail in an otherwise boring area. 

Overall the dimensions and weight are very close to the original, but the lock is quite a bit larger, so the lock panels and grip are larger as well.  It weighs in at 1 and a half lbs. 

I had a lot of trouble with the triggerguard.  When I received it there were a few small voids that I thought would work out, but as I filed things down the voids just kept going on and on.  I ended up filling them with brass color silver braze (used on brass musical instruments).  It matched the surrounding brass really well and tarnished too, but was a pain in the butt.  Moral of the story: Wax castings should be perfect, so I should have sent it back for a replacement.

Aside of the matchlock, this is my first real pistol.  Any constructive criticism or thoughts would be most appreciated!  Thanks!

More photos: http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/HelmsDown/French%20Pistol/

Z. Buck:
i likes it, i really like the way the transition at the entry pipe looks, and i do like the way the large butt sets off the small lock, and while im on the subject very well done tasteful engraving on the lock. i also think your transition from lock panels into the grip area is better than the original. over all i think its very nice thanks for showing! when you get tired of and and want to sell it let me know ;)
, Zack

Ed Wenger:
Hey Eric...

I don't know crapola about pistols, but I know good work when I see it, and that's better than good work!  To me, I get the feel of seeing a well cared for original.  I like your carving, moulding, and I see you've been doing some engraving work as well.  I certainly don't have any criticism, constructive or otherwise...  I think it looks great!  Will we get a chance to see it at Dixons??? Thanks for posting the pics, and again, very nice!

Ed

Dr. Tim-Boone:
Eric, my address is in my profile!!!  Oh that is sweet!  What Ed said...twice!!  I hope you put a date on it somewhere..

44-henry:
Beautiful pistol, I don't see anything about it that I don't like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version