Author Topic: Meet the Hawg - First build complete.  (Read 11806 times)

Offline PPatch

Meet the Hawg - First build complete.
« on: November 21, 2013, 12:02:44 AM »
I finally got the Chambers lancaster build done. Major thank you's for this forum's excellent input, those that personally answered questions when bothered, and Jim Chambers and crew for producing a first class product in all respects and providing customer service that is beyond.

The Hawg profile: .50 caliber Rice barrel, swamped. Lancaster profile, silver and brass inlay, handmade sights, captured keys, relief carved. I am in the process of sighting her in, right now she is centered fine but three inches low at 50 measured yards. .495 RB, .020 spit patch, 60gr Goex FFFg. A little more filing on the front sight and she should be there - shooting beautiful groups so far. Only the sideplate is engraved, and not all that well, I will engrave more when I learn something more about the craft.

Finish: Ferric Nitrate crystals mixed 3:1 with alcohol, allowed to dry overnight and hit with a heat gun the next morning (I could have gone deeper/longer with the heat gun). One coat of LMF Maple (didn't seem to add anything) and finished with 6 coats of Chambers Oil.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:59:55 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

greybeard

Re: Meet the Hawg - First build complete.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 01:22:28 AM »
Now that aint tooo shabby for sure.  Bob

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 02:03:58 AM »
That is real nice, especially for a first effort!

I think I would trim off that little tab on the bottom of the buttplate. That will hang up on everything.

Your fit and finish look great, and your colors are real nice too. Nice wire work and real clean workmanship all around.

oldarcher

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 03:22:03 AM »
Very Nice, I am about to start a Lancaster very similar to yours except I purchased the parts from Dunlap. I am very impressed with your efforts and I would be proud if mine turned out as well as yours. Your engraving on the sideplate is great. Good luck with it.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 03:54:27 AM »
That makes me seriously depressed. :(     I have finished 12 guns from scratch and none are that good.     How in the world can your carving and engraving be that good for a first effort?     >:(  ;D

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 03:55:36 AM »
That is an outstanding first build - or tenth!  Well done indeed.  But you must have taken those pics in the fall, so I have to ask, why just posting it now?  Pictures of a rifle taken today will be in snow.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 04:03:51 AM »
Oh.
My.
God.

Agree about the wee tab, BTW. You wouldn't miss it, I'll venture.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

jimtucker2

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 04:06:54 AM »
That is a really awesome piece of work...hope it shoots as good as it looks!  Jim

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 04:23:05 AM »
Keep after it Dave, you'll get the hang of it after a few more.

maybe.

;)

So how long did that take?  (awesome job btw  ;D).
Hold to the Wind

Offline PPatch

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 04:23:22 AM »
That is an outstanding first build - or tenth!  Well done indeed.  But you must have taken those pics in the fall, so I have to ask, why just posting it now?  Pictures of a rifle taken today will be in snow.

I took the pictures today, Wednesday November 20th, 57 degrees and sunny Master Taylor...  ;D

Downright chilly I tell ye. Cold weather work if you axe me.

Thank you.

dp

Wade: Just a year and a month of tinkering around is all. What a great learning experience. Got deer yet?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 04:30:37 AM by PPatch »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 05:08:09 AM »
Controlled tinkering i'm sure. You have another ready to start?  Unlike yours, I have some "do overs" on my first one before lighting in to the next one.

No fresh venison yet, but the time is _near_!  Sooner or later one of them is bound to wander into my zone.
Hold to the Wind

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 05:09:18 AM »
Thats a fine looking piece of pork. Very well done
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline PPatch

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 05:33:40 AM »
Controlled tinkering i'm sure. You have another ready to start?  Unlike yours, I have some "do overs" on my first one before lighting in to the next one.

No fresh venison yet, but the time is _near_!  Sooner or later one of them is bound to wander into my zone.

I got my mouth set on a Tennessee mountain rifle after William Beal. Something long and slim, dark, something I can concentrate on architecture with. Toward that goal I plan to visit Tip Curtis up north of Nashville fairly soon. I do have the maken's for a Plains rifle but have decided to hold off on that until I get some plank butchering experience with the intended mountain rifle, like you. We got deer running though the yard down hea'h boy.

I like this one A LOT: http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6650887

dp

Offline RHoyle

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 09:20:36 AM »
Very nice hawg there.  Love the carving, inlays, and wire work.  Looking forward to seeing the next one.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 04:30:51 PM »
 Very well done Dave, Great first!

Tim C.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 04:37:49 PM »
Really nice rifle. It's great to see it finally finished. I think the carving and the engraving look beautiful. You didn't sign the barrel? Beautiful rifle you should be proud. I'm anxious to see it in person.

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 06:22:31 PM »
Umm-let's be clear; I believe that's the best first rifle I've seen!  Do you have experience with furniture carving or something similar?  Definitely take that one to Dixon's.

Thawk

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 06:34:02 PM »
Ummm WOW.

I just finished my first and it's no where near as nice as that.  :-[

Jeff Peters

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 06:40:44 PM »
Very Nice !!
Jeff

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 06:50:09 PM »
If they will let you enter that rifle at Dixons as a first rifle,  it will definitely have a bunch of blue ribbons attached.   

pushboater

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 06:51:16 PM »
Outstanding! I too can't remember seeing a first attempt so well executed. I restocked my first rifle and keep the old stock hidden in a closet to remind me of how far I've come. Even now I'd be proud to have mine come out as nice. Most first timers leave the lock moldings way to wide. Yours look nice. I can't wait to see how much you improve on the next one! Keep building! This may just be your calling.

Online Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 08:22:12 PM »
That's real nice PPatch!!! Kind of makes me think its like a Beyeresque Lancaster, sorta, not sure why. Really well done!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 09:53:10 PM »
 Beautiful gun. very nice inletting, and carving. I do have one question. Why does the buttplate overhang the toe plate so far?

Hungry Horse

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 10:57:42 PM »
Dave, Congrats!  That's gotta rank as the best first ever....seriously.  Inspirational!
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 12:51:28 AM »
Mighty fine,Dave ,definatly show quality.Best regards,y'all!!!Dave in WVa,formerly of Gawjah!!!