Author Topic: Hobby builders - cut your own stock blank - it's not that difficult  (Read 3489 times)

galamb

A couple years back when I started this hobby the thought of beginning with a "chunk of wood" was rather daunting - a kit seemed the way to go, a pre-carve even then seemed a little scary. But after a bit of reading and some trial/error it's now my favourite part of the build - almost :)

Anyhow, if you are a little afraid to grab a board because it seems a little too difficult I have put together a few pics and notes of my current build (just started).

Here's how I go about it. If you have a pattern or blueprint, that makes it fairly easy to layout your lines to cut out, if not, I have a pic and some notes on how I do it. This will be my fourth rifle and only one was build from a "store bought" plan.

So here's a few pics with notes...

Start with the board (I did run it through the thickness planer to clean up the sides, and the top went through the jointer so I would be starting with squared/straight edges - if you don't have these tools, most wood suppliers can do this for you for a couple of extra bucks....

Get your pattern or make up one yourself...

Transfer your rough pattern to the board....

Cross your fingers and fire up the saw...

Save the leftovers....

If all goes well, in a few months this will turn into a nice Maryland rifle :)

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Hobby builders - cut your own stock blank - it's not that difficult
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 12:52:42 AM »
If you really want a slick way to transfer patterns onto stock blanks, and get the best of the stocks grain,or curl, on the stock, and not in the scrap pile,  make up patterns as you get to examine traditional rifles, and fine reproductions, out of plexi-glass, to lexan. I have a bunch I've produced over the years. Being in an area where there are quite a few short track racers, I've been able to get the scraps from the lexan sheets they cut to produce their race car windshields. It really works great.
 I cut my stocks with an old Delta Homecraft 10' bandsaw. I cut the lexan patterns with it as wall.

Hungry Horse

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 01:00:15 AM »
Thanks!

Also I'd like to hear from more who have cut _their own_ logs into blanks.  I have lots to practice on, but always get those nagging questions as to HOW to lay out the cuts on the log/stump.  

I have some really stripey maple on the landing now...won't be long enough for full stocks, but has the tiger all up in it.  ;)

Using a 100cc saw and 30" bar.  and a chalk-line most likely.  Yes, free-hand slabbing.  If i had the cash, i'd haul 'em all to a bandsawyer.  But also, some will be sawed as they lay-no skidding just dragging the slabs to the truck.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 01:01:49 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

galamb

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 02:04:43 AM »
Thanks, wouldn't have thought of the plexiglass. I do have a Kit Carson Hawken 1/2 stock pattern cut out of a piece of 1/4" aspenite (beaver barf), but the plexi would let you see "underneath" (cool) to watch for grain pattern etc.

To date that is the only pattern I have cut out more than once so don't think I would invest the time to create a template for a "one off", but on second thought, a couple of generic outline patterns, which would however, tend to waste a bit more wood, might be well worth while, especially when looking to get maximum benefit from the "leftovers".

Wade, I have tried cutting logs on my band saw (15") and even with the insert for it which will allow it to cut a 24" log, it just doesn't have the power to do the job properly. A local (mini) mill cut up a red oak for me that came off my lot - ran 200 board feet (I supplied the log) for 50 bucks - thought that was fair and a lot nicer than what I would have got going at it with the chainsaw (which was the initial plan).

Offline Rich

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 07:56:16 AM »
For an easy, cheap alternative to plexiglass (for a pattern you may not use again), is copier transparency sheets. You can tape them together for the length you want. They don't stretch like paper. You can cut them with scissors. I use a felt point pen to draw the pattern on it, and even at times make some notes. You can also photocopy onto it if you have a full size picture.

Offline Captchee

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 03:49:44 PM »
 to add to what Rich  stated . you can also by transparency film in wide and long roles . it comes in different thicknesses  ranging from very thin thats used  allot of times for  decorations  on gifts and flower pots all the way up to thicker films  used for posters and banners and map overlays .