Author Topic: Barrel Scraper Tool  (Read 19669 times)

greymount

Barrel Scraper Tool
« on: January 20, 2009, 09:00:14 PM »
Has anyone ever used a Gunline Octagon Barrel Bedder (scraper) sold by midwayusa.com for scraping barrel channels? I am in the process of  inletting a 7/8 barrel in a pre-carved and was wondering if this tool would assist me in inletting the barrel.  The scrapers come in numerous sizes and I was thinking that the 7/8 scraper might complete the task. 

northmn

Re: Barrel Scraper Tool
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 09:18:21 PM »
Check in the homemade tools section.  I use scrapers made from used hacksaw blades and shape them to any shape I want.  They are plenty wide enough for barrel flats.  Some use springs.  Others actually buy that type of tool I am told.

DP

Offline Benedict

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 09:27:58 PM »
I have used a round version of that tool and it works well.  I DOES take a lot of wood off in a hurry.  When I want to move a lot of wood in an octagon channel these days, I use an octagon shaped hand plane.  Final fitting is done with single bladed scapers and files.

Bruce

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 09:42:02 PM »
Brownell's has a hook shaped scraper with wood handle.  Actually they have two, one is for round channels the other is a flat or straight edged scraper.  The straight one I find quite useful inletting the barrel.  If you keep it sharp and get the angle of drag correct it will make nice clean cuts from just fine sawdust up to a thin curl of wood.  Mostly I use it with inletting black for final fitting the barrel and stock. 

keweenaw

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 12:28:59 AM »
I've used the round gunline scrapers for years but not the oct. one.  But I surely wouldn't use a 7/8" one for a 7/8" barrel as I don't think you could maintain tolerances on the sides.  The commercial scrapers that I find most useful for lots of finishing work on the rifle are a set of the Jerry Fisher scrapers Brownell's sells.  I don't use the smaller round end one that much but use the straight ended and larger rounded one all the time.  Remember when you're putting in that barrel the only places that need to be perfectly octagon are a few inches at the breech and a few inches at the muzzle.  As long as the side flats are where they should be and the bottom flat is in contact along the edges, the rest can be slightly U shaped.  Most original guns are that way.  We're just too used to seeing machine done inlets.  I remove most of the wood from the barrel channel using a round bottomed wooden plane.  Lots faster than a scraper.

Tom

greymount

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 12:42:52 AM »
If I were to purchase one of these scrapers to inlet a 7/8" barrel in a pre-carve stock what would be the best size: 11/16", 13/16", 15/16", 3/4" or 1".  I would think that you would want to be slightly smaller than 7/8".  Is this correct?

tuffy

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 01:18:33 AM »
I have used the octagon barrel scraper from Gunline and it works very well. Be advised that it does remove wood at a FAST rate, but very good at taking out excess wood. For a 7/8" channel I recommend using something smaller to hog the wood out, then a saw blade made into a scraper for the final touches.

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 05:14:14 PM »
Greymount:  I've used the gunline scraper for straight barrel inlets.  I recommend that you use a size smaller than the final barrel size and be very careful to keep the scraper straight and aligned in your initial cut.  If you use the 7/8" it  is really too easy to get it at an angle and cut the sides of the channel too wide.  Use it for the rough work and spend a lot of time later on fine fitting. 

Willbarq

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 08:03:27 AM »
Reviving this because I have tried to get ahold of Gunline , no luck. ! Anybody with INFO please step foward.

Brownells and Midway don't seem to have the octagon tool.

Offline rsells

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 10:24:52 AM »
I have three different size octogan scrapers I purchased from Brownell's a year ago this Christmas.  They work great for me.  If they don't carry them now that is a bummer, because I was going to get one more size.
                                                                                              Roger Sells

Online Pete G.

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 04:50:43 PM »
Most precarves are pretty close to the final barrel size. Try fitting a belt for a sander around a 1/2" board. The coarse grade should cut out plenty.

Willbarq

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 07:39:46 AM »
Bumping this to see if anyone has info on what is going on with GUNLINE.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 05:35:35 PM »
I make my own scrapers the shape I want/need.  I have 1/2 octagon scrapers for the barrel profiles I let in.  I don't sharpen the edges that ride along the sides of the inlet where the vertical barrel walls meet the stock.  I round those over before heat-treating.  That way the inlet stays nice and tight.

I have always been disappointed with bought scrapers.  Maybe its that when making your own you learn how to sharpen them, making keeping them sharp a mastered skill.  I don't know.  I can make a scraper in 30 minutes - why buy?

Merry Christmas,

John Cholin

Offline FDR

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 05:38:31 PM »
I see that their web site was updated on Dec 7 so they must still be in business.

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 05:46:22 PM »
Bumping this to see if anyone has info on what is going on with GUNLINE.

Why don't you try contacting them directly?

http://www.gunline.com/order.html

Phil Meek

Offline okieboy

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 06:13:32 PM »
 The Gunline business is for sale and has been for some time with them not actively providing tools.
Okieboy

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 08:27:26 PM »
I have an octagonal barrel scrapper that I made from a file as a kid.   However,  don't overlook gunstocking planes for cutting barrel channels.   I bought a period plane, but you can make one.   It is just like a moulding plane, but has parallel sides that fit down in the barrel channel.   I have a 3/4" one and I don't think you would want any other size.   The size is limited by the waist diameter.   Gunstocking planes cut a round or oval (tilt the plane) channel. 

kaintuck

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 10:44:53 PM »
I have an octagonal barrel scrapper that I made from a file as a kid.   However,  don't overlook gunstocking planes for cutting barrel channels.   I bought a period plane, but you can make one.   It is just like a moulding plane, but has parallel sides that fit down in the barrel channel.   I have a 3/4" one and I don't think you would want any other size.   The size is limited by the waist diameter.   Gunstocking planes cut a round or oval (tilt the plane) channel. 

or that small 1/4" plane LEE Valley tools sells, easier to use when you hold it just right.....and it's small enough to angle at 45degrees for the bottom cuts......
marc n tomtom

Willbarq

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 12:35:19 AM »
I make my own scrapers the shape I want/need.  I have 1/2 octagon scrapers for the barrel profiles I let in.  I don't sharpen the edges that ride along the sides of the inlet where the vertical barrel walls meet the stock.  I round those over before heat-treating.  That way the inlet stays nice and tight.

I have always been disappointed with bought scrapers.  Maybe its that when making your own you learn how to sharpen them, making keeping them sharp a mastered skill.  I don't know.  I can make a scraper in 30 minutes - why buy?

Merry Christmas,

John Cholin

You wanna make me one? Inletting a 7/8 straight barrel.

Willbarq

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 12:36:38 AM »
The Gunline business is for sale and has been for some time with them not actively providing tools.

Doesn't seem they are responding to telephone or e-mail.

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 09:09:43 AM »

Doesn't seem they are responding to telephone or e-mail.

As stated the company was up for sale.  Ordering parts and supplies are real questionable.  I heard that there was a buyer, but then I heard there was no buyer that it was only a rumor.  For checkering tools the only reliable supplier now is Dembart.  For the barrel inlay tools. it appears that homemade is the only reliable source today.

You can buy new and used hand plane  blades.  You can find new ones on eBay and on Amazon.  Or you can check junk shops for used tools, not everybody knows what they are worth.  I found 2 boxes of Stanley plane blades at junk shop a few years ago, at the time I had no need for them, but bought them anyway.  Since then I have managed to "mangle" most of them into new tools. 

Boompa

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 03:57:59 PM »
 Years ago I bought a set of three Jerry Fisher barrel scrapers from Brownels. These have scraping edges on bothe ends of the tool and are in different shapes.  Handiest little tools I own.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2015, 07:36:48 AM »
Years ago I bought a set of three Jerry Fisher barrel scrapers from Brownels. These have scraping edges on bothe ends of the tool and are in different shapes.  Handiest little tools I own.

I have some of those.  I never thought of using them for inletting.   I only use them for stock profiling.   

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2015, 06:05:45 PM »

Merry Christmas,

John Cholin

You wanna make me one? Inletting a 7/8 straight barrel.

If I make you one you will not learn how to make your own.

If you do not learn how to make your own then you will not discover that you CAN make your own tools.

If you do not discover that you can make your own tools then your growth as a gun-maker is stymied.

If your growth is stymied you stop learning.

If you stop learning you die.

So, instead of making one, how about I work on a tutorial next week that basically replicates what I've been doing at the fair for the past how many years?

Merry Christmas,

John Cholin & Ollie

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2015, 07:01:26 PM »

"So, instead of making one, how about I work on a tutorial next week that basically replicates what I've been doing at the fair for the past how many years?"

John,

That would be appreciated by those of us that find it very difficult to get to Dixon's because of the distance, health issues, or both.  Thanks, and a Merry Christmas to you also.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer