Author Topic: The Wolverhampton Gunlock Makers  (Read 4483 times)

Offline albert

The Wolverhampton Gunlock Makers
« on: November 23, 2013, 09:17:20 AM »
I was looking for information on the Joseph Brazier ( Ashes ) lock that is on my Ben Mills rifle and came across the Wolverhampton website,there is a lot of lockbuilders on it , thought some of you might find it interesting.
j albert miles

Offline Feltwad

Re: The Wolverhampton Gunlock Makers
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 01:58:47 PM »
Joseph Brazier was recorded has a G.L.M ,also a Gun and Pistol Maker 1827-1900 became and Son 1849 with the work place known has The Ashers.He supplied gun locks to the gun trade and also export , he also exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851 number 206 in the catalogue. They were granted several British Patents for percussion pistols and later for breech loading pistols and gun actions  also gun accessiors.
Feltwad

Offline albert

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 04:24:57 PM »
Joseph Brazier # 1 was listed as GLM (gun lock maker ),GIM ( gun implement maker ) ,GAM (gun action maker ) and GM (gun maker ) active approximately 1811-1864,his was the "ASHES" trademark   http://www.wolverhampton-gunlocks.fslife.co.uk/Index.htm
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 04:58:44 PM by albert »
j albert miles

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 04:48:43 PM »
 The name "J or I Brazier,Ashes"appeared on only his top of the line locks.
I had the Wolverhampton list and might still have it but haven't looked at
it for a long time. There was a long list of "lock filers" listed.

Bob Roller

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 12:24:12 AM »
Albert...I am intrigued by your reference to a Benjamin Mills rifle with the "Brazier Ashes" lock. I have studied Kentucky guns for years, including Mill's fine target rifles, pistols, and superposed combination guns. His early guns (that I have seen) all appear to have locks made in his own shop. I have seen a number of his later guns where he began to use some commercial parts such as cast brass guards and butt plates, etc. going away from his fine iron mountings used on earlier guns. I am wondering if your rifle might be a later work when he began to use commercial parts. Would you mind sharing a picture of your Mills rifle so I could get an idea of where it dates in his working years, and perhaps a good picture of the lock to see how it differs (if it does) from his own locks? His guns were of the highest quality and known well beyond Kentucky for their accuracy and workmanship, so it only stands to reason that if he purchased locks, they would be of high quality due to the criticalness of the lock's action on a fine target rifle. I would very much like to get an idea of when he might have started purchasing locks for his guns...and the style of gun (his typical target/hunting rifle?) such a lock would be used on. Thanks, Shelby Gallien

Offline albert

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 02:39:42 AM »
I will e-mail you some pictures
j albert miles

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 05:19:54 PM »
I would think any American rifle with a lock marked "J or I or Joseph Brazier,Ashes"
would be a rifle that was equipped with a lock from an English gun or rifle of the best
quality.Perhaps an English gun either damaged or not suitable for America to begin with.
Is there any record of these locks being exported from England to the USA?
I have wondered about the lock on the Grant Rifle made by N.G.Whitmore and a similar
one by Whitmore that belonged to Walter Cline,a founder of the NMLRA.Does any know who
owns that gun now?

Bob Roller