Author Topic: Another ash question  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Kermit

Another ash question
« on: November 28, 2013, 06:43:21 PM »
Seems to me there is increasing interest and chatter about ash stockwood. My questions are what regions, styles, and time periods would have seen ash used?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Another ash question
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 07:00:37 PM »
My guess would be Southern, late, poorboy.

Hungry Horse

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 07:08:07 PM »
Very much "in school" for Southern, and TN specifically as far as I have developed my knowledge.  AND also, that it can be QUITE challenging to carve (and neatly inlet) with the HARDsoftHARDsoft effect of the porosity of the grains. 

Some say they'll never build with Ash again.  I'm trying one of those next, you know, whilst i'm young and full of enthusiasm.  ;D

Join the club.

Also, a lot of Ash is being destroyed by the ash borer.  If you have a "grand list" project that requires a piece, I'd go ahead an get it before any shortage changes stock blank pricing.  About half the Ash timber coming off my place was affected, and the USForestry guys said "cut it all" there may be no more.  Dangole bugs.  This borer leaves huge holes, not "wormy" holes but the size of carpenter bees. 

Hold to the Wind

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 08:36:17 PM »
About half the Ash timber coming off my place was affected, and the USForestry guys said "cut it all" there may be no more.

They killed 2 8 year old ash trees in my yard.  I cut them down and burned them.  Evidently I didn't kill them all.  Lacking any more ash trees, they moved on to 2 hard maple trees of the same approximate age which I also cut down and burned.  No problems since......I guess they don't like oaks.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Joey R

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 03:45:55 AM »
I'm in southern Indiana and the emerald ash borer is wreaking havoc on the ash. Lot's of ash logging exclusively going on here. I have a retired state forester friend who also is a ALR man told me to first look for dead limbs at the top of the tree and then look for sapsucker sized holes bored in the bark with one side being flat. The hole will look like the capital letter "D". He said that is a dead giveaway. I'm close to the Louisville Slugger bat factory who may be nervous in the near future. I don't like bats made from maple for I would rather have longrifle stocks.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 03:50:06 AM by Joey R »
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill