Author Topic: lock refurbishing  (Read 5712 times)

Offline Jack Baier

• Starting Member
lock refurbishing
« on: November 30, 2013, 03:07:27 AM »
should i give a builder first chance at going through a lock thats acting up or should i just call the manufacturer? the rifle is 24 years old . i'm not looking for warrenty work just wondering what would be best to maintain rifles value.

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: lock refurbishing
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 03:39:54 AM »
  My first question is what lock. Some are worth a little work, and expense, and some are not. Is it still being manufactured is another big question, that needs answering. The exact nature of the malfunction could be a big factor as well. Some problems are pretty easy to fix, and others aren't.

Hungry Horse

Offline Jack Baier

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 03:48:03 AM »
lock is a l&r bailes .right now the fly doesn't funtion properly.

galamb

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 05:22:15 AM »
If you have a look on the L&R website under repairs and service you will see that for 15 bucks, plus parts and shipping they will refurb/repair one of their older locks.

Sounds like a decent deal to me..

tuffy

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 05:37:58 AM »
A good deal indeed. But prior to sending the lock in for repairs, make sure that you haven't over tightened the lock plate screws. An over tight screw can put a bend in a lock plate pretty easy and prevent the lock from working properly. ;)

CW

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 09:55:28 PM »
My opinion is that the lock should be sent to someone other than the manufacturer who normally repairs and refurbishes locks.    I would like to explain why but I am prohibited by the moderators and legal concerns.   

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 10:16:22 PM »
Isn't it possible to put the fly in upside down on that lock? Or am I thinking of another lock?

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 11:15:16 PM »
Isn't it possible to put the fly in upside down on that lock? Or am I thinking of another lock?

Charlie,
It is possible (and easy to do, by accident) on the L & R Bailles that I have. 

Jack,

Have you had the lock apart recently?  If so, maybe the fly is upside down as Charlie mentions.

Then again, it's a 24 year old rifle.  If the lock functioned ok for how ever long, then began to give problems, maybe the fly is wornout or just needs a good cleaning?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Jack Baier

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 02:59:37 AM »
Ron,
       lock has been apart many times and always well maintained.when i watch it with a loupe it appears that the nose of the sear doesn't want to ride over the fly and kick it down to the half cock notch.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 03:22:47 AM »
Ron,
       lock has been apart many times and always well maintained.when i watch it with a loupe it appears that the nose of the sear doesn't want to ride over the fly and kick it down to the half cock notch.

My experience is that when it does that,  the fly may not be installed correctly.  Because the fly is on the inside of the tumbler,  it can be hard to get it to stay on it's little post during assembly.    It is also real easy to put it on upside down.   Binding will also cause the fly not to work correctly.   This can be because of wear, or because the bridle screws were tightened too tight on one side.   I really don't like the fly on the plate side of the tumbler.   It makes it hard to assemble and imperfections in aligning the tumbler can cause it to bind.  Alignment problems can result from wear.   The fix for plate wear is a bushing.   

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 07:50:06 AM »
I would check for simple stuff, i.e. fly installed incorrectly etc. If not that, just send it to Brad Emig a  Cabin Creek Muzzleloading.  He will make it good  :)

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 06:10:20 PM »
If the problem truly is wear on the nose of the fly a new part should be a drop in fix. TOW has them listed.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 06:25:44 PM »
If the problem truly is wear on the nose of the fly a new part should be a drop in fix. TOW has them listed.

I was talking about plate wear causing binding, not wear on the fly.   

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 11:42:57 PM »
For $15.00 I would of already sent it off to L&R. 
David

Offline BJH

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 12:19:43 AM »
My first bet is the fly is upside down. Been there done that! BJH
BJH

Offline Jack Baier

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 03:41:48 AM »
gentlemen,
               thankyou for the help.sure enough the fly was upsidedown/backwards .i would have swore up and down it wasn't.i've used this rifle since it was new and i've never done this before.
                                                                                                          thanks again,
                                                                                                                          jack

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 05:32:24 AM »
Hey Jack,heres hoping you aint catchin that ol greybeard  varmint.he is the culprit of a LOT of aggitatin stuff.BTW,did the same boobbo on my Bailes when I was finishing the rifle.Said some unkind words to my ol geezin self.Glad ya found the prob.Dave ::)